Guided Tour Or Self Guided

cmgirly

Hi,

Me and the Hubby have never been to St. Thomas. Also, this is his first cruise and my first one since I was like 11 years old. That being said I am trying to plan St. Thomas and I am overwhelmed by all of the different beach options. I found this guided tour on Viator for $45 that includes:

Sightsee, shop and visit one of St Thomas' most beautiful beaches Stroll through downtown Charlotte Amelie for deals on luxury goods View landmarks like Fort Christian Museum, Hotel 1829, Drakes Seat and Magen's Bay Lookout Listen to engaging commentary from your art-historian guide Relax and enjoy the tropical atmosphere on a local beach.

I feel like this will give us a good overview of the Island and it has great reviews!

Would you recommend doing something like this or would it be worth it to get a taxi and just go to the beach?

If so, what beach? I have read magens and coki are good but could be crowded. Ideally, we want a beach that has a bar close by as we like to drink and is beautiful to be at.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Are other two ports are Nassau and St. Marten which we are also doing beach days so if you have any other ideas for St. Thomas we are open!

Some of the taxi drivers offer similar tours for a bit less. Papa Bear of Air Force 1, Godfrey, Bruce Flamon of The Real Deal, Sunny Liston, Henry of EEE Tours, Marian's Tours are some that have been recommended, and they all have websites. You can Google them for more info.

If you just go to a beach, you miss the narration which can be interesting if you're interested in learning about your destinations.

Some of the taxi drivers offer similar tours for a bit less. Papa Bear of Air Force 1, Godfrey, Bruce Flamon of The Real Deal, Sunny Liston, Henry of EEE Tours, Marian's Tours are some that have been recommended, and they all have websites. You can Google them for more info.

If you just go to a beach, you miss the narration which can be interesting if you're interested in learning about your destinations.

Have you ever did a tour with Godfrey? Their one tour is just want my mother and I are looking to do. And would like to know if they are any good or what have you.

For a very nice beach day I'd recommend just hopping a taxi to Sapphire Beach, $10pp each way. Gorgeous beach and water with nice island views. There is a sandy swimming section along with a coral area and a sea grass area if you want to snorkel. You'll find a dive shop (Dive In) renting snorkel gear, lounges, floaties, kayaks and other items. There are a few food and drink options, and runners take your order from the beach.

We always order the mahi mahi sandwich from Banana Cabana which is a small beach grill/bar located between condo bldgs B & C. They also serve beer and tropical drinks. Dive In also sells beer and rum punch a little cheaper than BC.

Sapphire is a great choice for a nice beach day with a less busy vibe than the other beaches mentioned. On heavier ship days you will see more day visitors grouped around the swimming section of the beach, but there is a lot of room to spread out along the beach, and there is also a lot of natural shade along the shore. Just a beautiful beach with the amenities you want!

If you decide on a tour to see the island highlights that's also a good option and some will stop at another beach. But for a beach day look at Sapphire and possibly Secret Harbor if it's not a busy port day. For what is arguably the nicest beach with few amenities (just restrooms and showers and a few picnic tables last I knew) look at Smith Bay Park just down from Sapphire.

• 2 weeks later...