RCCL Rhapsody or Princess Grand Princess?

Hillslug

I'm looking at booking a cruise for next year for the week before christmas 2006 leaving on Dec 16th or 17th. I'm planning on taking the kids for their first cruise. My question is, does anyone have any experience taking kids on these two ships and which one was better for cruising with kids. The kids ages will be- Daughter 12 and son 3.

Right now it looks like Princess would be about $1000.00 more for a Junior/Mini suite mainly because RCCL charges $160 pp for the kids and Princess charges $650 pp for the kids.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cody

IMHO that's pretty much a no brainer... Grand Princess definitely. The main thing I don't like about the Princess ships is the partially uncovered/uncovered balconies on the lower decks but if you can get by that.... Rhapsody isn't a "bad choice" but Princess' dining options etc. are much more to our liking at least.

I'm looking at booking a cruise for next year for the week before christmas 2006 leaving on Dec 16th or 17th. I'm planning on taking the kids for their first cruise. My question is, does anyone have any experience taking kids on these two ships and which one was better for cruising with kids. The kids ages will be- Daughter 12 and son 3.

Right now it looks like Princess would be about $1000.00 more for a Junior/Mini suite mainly because RCCL charges $160 pp for the kids and Princess charges $650 pp for the kids.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cody

First of all your kids must be 3 years old and potty trained to be in the kids programs. Both ships have very good programs. We have been on both and we prefer Princess because the entertainment and food is much better. The Rhapsody is a much prettier ship. We had a very nice balcony cabin on Rhapsody and we have been on the Grand Princess twice and are going on the transAtlantic next week. RCCL may charge a little less but I still prefer Princess. Also, the pools on Rhapsody use fresh water. My daughter-in-law got a stinger from a jellyfish in the pool. Princess doesn't use water from the sea or has better filters. Never heard of anyone getting that on Princess.

Hi, Hillslug,

We've cruised many times with our kids on all lines (and many times over the holiday season...the week before Christmas, you will get almost all the benefits of a Christmas cruise, without paying the premium cruise rate). Usually, when thinking of kids, I'd give the nod to Royal Caribbean. However, looking at those two itineraries, I'd go with the Grand Princess in a heartbeat, as you get 4 ports vs. the Rhapsody's 3 including Key West, which doesn't have the greatest kid appeal + in December, the weather there won't be as tropical as in the ports the Grand P will be hitting.

On the other hand, the price differential is pretty significant, so if you're happy enough with the Rhapsody's itinerary, stick with it if you think the Rhapsody offers a cruise experience that will make you and your wife happy. (Choosing for the kids is really secondary...they are going to love whatever cruise you take them on!) From an adults' perspective, in my personal opinion only, the Rhapsody is a prettier ship, features more manageable size/better layout, offers a superior lunch buffet, and offers better entertainment/activities; the Grand P offers a superior itinerary, superior dining room quality, service and ambiance, and MUTS!

We've never cruised with the kids in mini-suites. Maybe another family cruiser can offer a compare/contrast on the cabins that would help you decide....

I don't think you can go wrong. What a fun thing to plan & anticipate!

We had all our grandkids on the GP last December and they loved it. We are taking then again next year.

There are things we liked and disliked about both ships, but we prefer the Grand Princess, but that's not a knock against the Rhapsody.

We thought the Rhapsody had a better atrium, better dining room & better buffet layout.

We thought the GP had better cabins, pools and service.

Archived