Discovery trip report

We have been back a couple of weeks now to recover from a fantastic cruise on the 20 year old Discovery.

There are some tell tale signs of aging but overall the ship is superb throughout.

We were delayed an hour at Birmingham airport due to Palma having no air slots left for landing at our allocated time, so we were told, anyway just over 2 hours later we were at PMI in the queue to board our coach. It still amazed me at the coach side that several couples from Birmingham did not have their cabin numbers or tags on their cases, in the queue to check in at BHX you had to walk past a desk where you were asked if you were on a cruise or normal flight, if on a cruise you received tags with your cabin number on that were fixed to your cases and small stickers to stick on your other baggage, I'm not sure how people ended up with no tags but some people just seemed to be in cuckoo land.

After a short 20 min coach ride from the airport we were in the check in tent alongside the ship, no queue so a swift easy check in with pictures taken and CC swiped.

One disappointing thing was the glass of water on offer as we boarded rather than the Bucks Fizz that we had last year on the Thomsom Majesty.

The good news was that we were on board and sitting on deck 10 at the pool bar by 1-45 just an hour late and within 30 minutes our cases were all outside our cabins.

We were very impressed with our deluxe balcony cabins on deck 7, as good as any of our previous cruises if not the best.

Bar service was excellent all week in all areas, we were on deck 10 most days and the bar always had at least 2 and sometimes 3 serving along with the waiting staff wandering around the deck also. There are clearly a few staff that are not happy in their work but you soon get to avoid them and I have found staff like this on many cruises in the past.

On pool deck 9 there was always 3 or 4 serving so excellent service even at busy times.

It was the same level of service in the Atrium early evening and also in the live room, we really could not fault it.

We went to the Surf and Turf twice in the week and had excellent meals both nights, great service and proper drinks, I say this because the alcohol poolside can not be full strength and the draft beer was very weak, the bottled beer and cans were much more like real strength. As it was free and unlimited it did not spoil our cruise.

Our friends went to the Korma restaurant and also had great service and food.

We ate at the Gallery on 2 nights and I found that average but then that's me who frequents Mc Donald's rather than a restaurant.

The Islands buffet had a fantastic selection as long as you liked everything covered in spice or creams,

In all there is something for everyone to eat if you look around,

The Glass house was a nice area and was quiet every day, the water in the pool here was absolutely freezing which may have been the reason for the area being used very little by people.

Overall we were very impressed with our cruise and are pleased to be going on her again in February around the Carribean,

SAC

I would have been very easy to miss the lady with the cabin no. tags at Glasgow! There were two queues to check in and she stood to one side of one queue and only seemed to be giving the envelopes to people who actually went up and asked for them. She was not asking people if they were on the cruise. Not having had them at the airport before we were not specifically looking out for them but being nosy I wondered what she was doing! After a minute I realised what it was and remembered reading on FB that they were given out at the airport for Discovery. I really don't think everyone in those two queues got their tags although I did tell some people standing near us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would have been very easy to miss the lady with the cabin no. tags at Glasgow! There were two queues to check in and she stood to one side of one queue and only seemed to be giving the envelopes to people who actually went up and asked for them. She was not asking people if they were on the cruise. Not having had them at the airport before we were not specifically looking out for them but being nosy I wondered what she was doing! After a minute I realised what it was and remembered reading on FB that they were given out at the airport for Discovery. I really don't think everyone in those two queues got their tags although I did tell some people standing near us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Same at Cardiff. I noticed people with tags on their luggage and then saw a lady at a Thomson Cruise stand giving them out.

It seems like Thomsoms ground staff have not got their act together at the different airports,

Certainly Birmingham was difficult to walk past without being stopped as the desk was halfway into the main queue.

You would think that they should have a foolproof method by now.

Only an observation by me and did not spoil our cruise.

SAC

I thought it was only bonded luggage going to Caribbean and Dubrovnik that had cabin numbers put on at airport. All other cruises get their cabin labels when they reach the port before boarding bus for ship.

We go to Dubrovnik in two weeks time and it states on our eticket that we have to go to the Cruise Stand to have our luggage sealed and cabin number put on before dropping off at check-in.

Have they changed the procedure and made it for all cruises now?

I thought it was only bonded luggage going to Caribbean and Dubrovnik that had cabin numbers put on at airport. All other cruises get their cabin labels when they reach the port before boarding bus for ship.

We go to Dubrovnik in two weeks time and it states on our eticket that we have to go to the Cruise Stand to have our luggage sealed and cabin number put on before dropping off at check-in.

Have they changed the procedure and made it for all cruises now?

At the airport in the queues there will be a Thomson Cruise representative who should give you your luggage tags with your cabin number on. These should be attached before checking the suitcases in. This happens for all cruises as it helps the crew deliver your bags to your cabin.

Should you be on a bonded flight - Dubrovnik & Bridgetown in my personal experience - then you do not need to pick up your luggage at the arrival airport as they will be delivered straight to the ship and to your cabin. If you are arriving at a non- bonded destination, you need to pick up you cases and take it to your transfer coach. On arrival at the port you usually need to take the luggage to a designated area - Thomson use colours- so if your tag is pink you drop the luggage in the pink area which will be signposted. Then the crew will load the luggage on and deliver later to your cabin.

Hope this helps.

At the airport in the queues there will be a Thomson Cruise representative who should give you your luggage tags with your cabin number on. These should be attached before checking the suitcases in. This happens for all cruises as it helps the crew deliver your bags to your cabin.

Should you be on a bonded flight - Dubrovnik & Bridgetown in my personal experience - then you do not need to pick up your luggage at the arrival airport as they will be delivered straight to the ship and to your cabin. If you are arriving at a non- bonded destination, you need to pick up you cases and take it to your transfer coach. On arrival at the port you usually need to take the luggage to a designated area - Thomson use colours- so if your tag is pink you drop the luggage in the pink area which will be signposted. Then the crew will load the luggage on and deliver later to your cabin.

Hope this helps.

Travelled from Birmingham on 30/08/2016 for cruise on Majesty, there was no one giving out cabin numbers at airport, you did not get these until arrival at the port in Palma, and we had pre booked our cabins.

Seems to be variations as per it airport travelled from? I use Gatwick and all of my cruises Destiny, Dream, Spirit and Celebration whether unbounded or not - we had some one come and provide the coloured luggage tags with cabin numbers on, I don't pre-book my cabins. They are also the one that can give you incorrect information ie. No you don't need to pick up your luggage at Malaga airport - Yes you do as we found out last November 😀

Cruise in May to Majesty we picked up luggage tags at arrival airport and our recent cruise from Aberdeen we were asked if we were going on a cruise and our cabin numbers were put on a sticker and on to our cases at the check in desk (on the TUI Discovery). I wonder what the procedure will be on our next one!

Edited by Lucie14