Am I dreaming?

doug52

So, we just booked our first Viking Ocean cruise after several cruises on Princess and RCI and I still can't believe the deal we got for this Premium Cruise Line.

We will be sailing on the New York, Bermuda, West Indies cruise on September 30, 2018 for 14 nights with 3 over-nights in New York, Bermuda and San Juan and our total cost for a V2 cabin is right at $3,000 per person including airfare(after a substantial discount from our TA).

And, yes I know the Viking air may not be ideal, but for virtually free($45 per person) I can put up with an across country flight. I would book myself(and probably business class) if we were traveling to Europe with Viking and that will probably be next as we really want to do the fjord cruise (2019 maybe).

And, while I thought of upgrading to a Deluxe cabin, we decided it just was not worth the difference considering we will probably just do most of the included tours and then beach time in the West Indies. And, we should have plenty of time to do what we want since the itinerary shows 10 to 11 hours in each of the ports and of course over-night on the other three.

Anyway, I went ahead and just started the roll call and am looking forward to discussing Viking here and on the roll call.

Doug

That was a good value for 14 days with airfare. Looking forward to your feedback after.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, well the downside is that the cruise is almost two years away:(.

But I will provide feedback in October 2018 :D.

Doug

My read is that the cruise will be paid in full this year. This that accurate?

I did ask my TA about that after seeing several posts about Vikings unique policy on requesting full payment earlier than other cruise lines.

So, the good news for me is that she has me set up to make full payment in March 2018, six months before cruising. So, I just had to put down $1,000 deposit now with the balance due in March of 18. Not sure if this is due to her relationship with Viking(she does a substantial business with them) or Viking is possibly relaxing their policy.

Doug

Congrats! I am booked for April 2018 on the transatlantic . 2018 seems like a long time , but it will give us plenty of time to prepare...:D

Congrats to you as well! We are doing our first transatlantic next April on the Celebrity Reflection booked in one of their sky suites. So, this should give me a good comparison of a mass market suite experience vs a premium cruise line like Viking Ocean.

I am spending about 2k more per person to be in a sky suite for 15 nights from Miami to Europe than this 14 night Viking cruise. And, I almost forgot, I booked separately the flights- business class to Miami and first class seats from Rome which adds substantially to the cost.

So, you can see why I am so excited by the total package Viking is giving me for only 3k per person, even though it is a totally different itinerary than Celebrity. Although both are re-positioning cruises.

Doug

I have only sailed on Celebrity ships , so I will look for your reivew of the Reflection in a Sky suite. I have only booked Aqua and CC aft cabins on Celebrity

the last four times.

I became smitten with Viking ship and their vision when I received their brochure when they first launched this cruise line.

I did ask my TA about that after seeing several posts about Vikings unique policy on requesting full payment earlier than other cruise lines.

So, the good news for me is that she has me set up to make full payment in March 2018, six months before cruising. So, I just had to put down $1,000 deposit now with the balance due in March of 18. Not sure if this is due to her relationship with Viking(she does a substantial business with them) or Viking is possibly relaxing their policy.

Doug

I just booked the South American cruise on the Sea and we too were able to get the six month option. We also got the guarantee cabin in the veranda level. It should be interesting to see which cabin we get. Couldn't complain about the airfare, $45 each. Because of the silver spirit package, we get our mini frig filled everyday, instead of sandals, it will be Viking. Very happy with this too.