Amalfi Coast

readytoembark

We’ll be visiting the Naples area for 2 days in just over a week. I’ve hired a private driver for a portion of two days (not a tour guide). The first day we’ll be visiting Pompeii, the Pompeii museum and Herculaneum. On the second day we’ll be visiting the Amalfi Coast.

I’m having a challenge figuring out what we’ll be doing on the Amalfi Coast. I realize the views are supposed to be beautiful but would like something a bit more diversified than just scenery. I don’t want to visit more churches (been there, done that). A winery would be nice, or a lemon orchard, or a cheese farm… I’m open to a variety of experiences (not hiking as I’m traveling with older relatives). I’ve done quite a bit of research but am coming up empty handed. I don’t want to hire another tour guide that overcharges for a typical touristy experience – so please don’t suggest that. I just want a low maintenance Amalfi Coast experience.

I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks

:) I'm sorry. I know it's not the best thing to say but I spent several months in Italy visiting churches studying architecture and art and TAKING TESTS - and would enjoy experiencing a different side of Italy. I spent so much time in churches that I never got to see the Amalfi coast!

Edited by readytoembark

:) I'm sorry. I know it's not the best thing to say but I spent several months in Italy visiting churches studying architecture and art and TAKING TESTS - and would enjoy experiencing a different side of Italy. I spent so much time in churches that I never got to see the Amalfi coast!

I hear you!

Amalfi coast is awesome but I will let others give you their opinions.

I only spent a few hours in a few towns. The church in Amalfi is very cool by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure what you expect of the coast as much of its attraction is simply the scenery and just wandering around some of the famous towns such as Positano, Ravello and Amalfi. You are going there in the off-season and things might be a bit quiet (a good thing). In the summer they are usually selling the huge lemons (they are as large as grapefruits) at roadside stands....but this time of the year you might not see lemons. But Lemoncello is always abundant (DW loves the stuff she has sampled in multiple places up in Ravello). As to churches, the British sometimes say "ABC" or "Another Bloody Church." The churches on the coast are somewhat small, but some of them are quite charming (we even enjoyed the small church in Praiano...where we have spent some time). Ravello has a wonderful little church right in the heart of town...and you will often see weddings happening since it is a popular destination wedding place. But not sure much is happening in mid-November.

Hank

In Ravello, check out the Villa Rufolo and the Villa Cimbrone.

The Emerald Grotto is fun. Not as scenic as the Blue Grotto in Capri, but lots of fun thanks to the local guides who row you in.

Forget about wineries, lemon orchards or cheese farms. The real estate is way too expensive there for any large scale operations.

Enjoy the views, the food and the moment. And don't forget the churches :D

No exams given.