Mariner to China? Visa Requirements

Your citizenship will dictate whether or not you need a visa ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a US citizen, so yes, I'll need a Visa...but RCCL is giving US citizens a nice credit that will pay for both our Visa's....so it made the trip much more palpable, so I went ahead and booked it!

I did a trial airfare tickets on Orbitz and it seems Emirates offers a good deal, with an overnight stop in Dubai on the way back...hope they are offering same in 2018. I always wanted to fly Emirates. The price was very good too, but hopefully I'll have enough points to either help with the flights or at the very least pay for my hotel.

I'm excited! Ways to go though.:eek::D

Just done this cruise but in reverse.

What I would say is don't take the visa companies as gospel, they want to sell you a visa regardless.

However, alas, as you're visiting a part of China not covered by the 144 hr visa waiver that's specific to Shanghai you will need a visa.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you do a trip report or review?

No, but feel free to ask anything you'd like

How far is SIN airport to cruise port?

Did you stay in a hotel pre cruise?

Which hotel did you stay at in Shanghai?

Is Cruise port in Shanghai close to airport?

Which airline did you use? I plan on using Emirates with a 1-2 night stop over in Dubai...if the price is right.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Atrium in Singapore; it was quite nice and the price was right. I would definitely stay there again. Friends of mine stayed at the Pan Pacific by Marina Bay, and they liked it ( it's a bit more $).

The cruise terminal in Shanghai is actually in a somewhat industrial suburb called Boashan ... it's about an hour by taxi to the Shanghai airport. Taxis are cheap there. Don't expect the taxi drivers to speak or understand English in Boashan. If you take a taxi, it would be a good idea to get someone you trust to write the address down in Mandarin, or take a transfer with the ship. Also, the taxis at the cruise port in Boashan are different colours depending on your destination. You'll have to guess which colour you need... There was a money change booth in the terminal a couple of years ago. If you decide to stay overnight in Shanghai, I wouldn't recommend staying near the cruise port in Boashan.

From the airport to our hotel, which was in the stadium complex so not in downtown Shanghai, the trip was about an hour.

Although our hotel wasn't downtown it was very well placed to use the metro which is cheap, efficient and easy to use.

The cruise terminal wasn't that far time wise from the hotel but it is the other side of Shanghai from the airport.

We flew Turkish via Istanbul on a par with Emirates tbf

I am a US citizen, so yes, I'll need a Visa...but RCCL is giving US citizens a nice credit that will pay for both our Visa's....so it made the trip much more palpable, so I went ahead and booked it!

I did a trial airfare tickets on Orbitz and it seems Emirates offers a good deal, with an overnight stop in Dubai on the way back...hope they are offering same in 2018. I always wanted to fly Emirates. The price was very good too, but hopefully I'll have enough points to either help with the flights or at the very least pay for my hotel.

I'm excited! Ways to go though.:eek::D

What is the offer from RCCL / RCI? I have not ever seen such an offer we are scheduled for the Ovation next April on a similar itinerary to yours.

Thanks!!!

JC

What is the offer from RCCL / RCI? I have not ever seen such an offer we are scheduled for the Ovation next April on a similar itinerary to yours.

Thanks!!!

JC

It wasn't advertised. At the end of the booking as I was putting in my CC number I noticed it dropped to 2300 from 2700 (and change). When I reviewed the price breakdown I noticed it added a U.S. Credit of over $300. I was a happy camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cruise terminal in Shanghai is actually in a somewhat industrial suburb called Boashan ... it's about an hour by taxi to the Shanghai airport. Taxis are cheap there. Don't expect the taxi drivers to speak or understand English in Boashan. If you take a taxi, it would be a good idea to get someone you trust to write the address down in Mandarin, or take a transfer with the ship. Also, the taxis at the cruise port in Boashan are different colours depending on your destination. You'll have to guess which colour you need... There was a money change booth in the terminal a couple of years ago. If you decide to stay overnight in Shanghai, I wouldn't recommend staying near the cruise port in Boashan.

I think I will try to skip a hotel stay and just get cruise transfers from airport.

From the airport to our hotel, which was in the stadium complex so not in downtown Shanghai, the trip was about an hour.

Although our hotel wasn't downtown it was very well placed to use the metro which is cheap, efficient and easy to use.

The cruise terminal wasn't that far time wise from the hotel but it is the other side of Shanghai from the airport.

We flew Turkish via Istanbul on a par with Emirates tbf

Btw did you get your visa from RCCL agency or go through one on your own?