Drive versus Uber...to San Pedro...

Bruin Steve

Which would you do?

I am still wrestling with my choices of getting to and from my Ruby Princess Mexico cruise...which is coming up fast...

Either I am just driving it myself and parking at the pier--what I usually do...or I'll take Uber both ways...

Driving myself, I'd pay $136 for parking ($17 per day for an 8 night cruise) and it would cost me around $10 for gas (50 miles each way, figuring $2.50 per gallon, 25 mpg)...I am not that concerned with other car costs (i.e. Insurance, maintenance) as I pay insurance either way and maintenance is minimal. So, total cost is $146.

I just checked out Uber and, right now, UberX would cost $50 to get to the pier. So, a round trip would cost about $100 IF I don't get hit with Surge pricing either way (embarkation is on a Thursday, disembarkation is on a Friday Morning, so we're riding on a workday morning both ways, 50 miles across LA from Calabasas to San Pedro. Plus, though I know Uber was originally designed without tipping, some now tip in cash...and this is a fairly long trip in traffic with luggage as well as two passengers, so? Anyway, it will cost at least $100, maybe $120 if we tip...and more if there's traffic or even surge pricing...

Other benefits of Uber: I don't deal with driving and I don't have to leave my car outside in a lot for 8 days.

Other benefits of driving: I am completely in control, can make any stops I want on my way there or on the way home, my price is pretty much fixed.

I might save as much as $46 using Uber and probably not much more than driving/parking at the worst.

What would all of you do?

Edited by Bruin Steve

We'll be driving as per usual to San Pedro. The advantages of self-driving are pretty much the reasons we do. We self-disembark and so a check of Google Maps in the morning will suggest whether we'll bale as soon as we can or have a leisurely-ish breakfast and wait until the morning commute is over

Uber or Lyft is probably your best option. I'm

Pretty sure they both have "upfront pricing" now, so you know how much your fare is before you order.

Right...and wrong...

You may no what it will cost to get there....but no way to know the return cost 8 days later...and, once you've committed to taking an Uber there, you are pretty much committed to the unknown return trip...

• 3 months later...

Load both uber and Lyft on your device. Compare fare pricing on both apps and go with the lowest up front pricing fare.

Uber's prices can surge at any time. Both platforms are similar and in my experience if uber is surging 4x, check

Lyft. Lyft usually never surpasses Uber's surcharge. Then there's super shuttle for 20 bucks per person from LAX to pier in San Pedro. I think overall uber and Lyft are the best options in at LAX.

You can take a family of 4 in an uberx and the cost would be under $30 depending on traffic. You will be charged about a dollar a mile. (Uberx) A good guesstimate system to figure your fare is take the number of miles you will be traveling and times that number by $1. These figures are for non-surging rides. It's always very accurate within a few dollars.

Now if the rates are surging and you aren't pressed for time, you could wait out the surge. In my experience, surge will last 2, 5, 6, or 10 minutes. It will adjust, even disappear. Surges rarely happen at the airport so hopefully you won't not have to deal with that. Hope this info helps [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by SoloCruzr

Does Uber pick up at LAX at the United arrival level at the United terminal or is one required to move with luggage to another level and a distance from the United domestic terminal to the Uber connection?

LAX airport regulations require uber and lyft to pick up at the departure level upstairs. It is fairly easy to get to the departure level from the arrival level. There are escalators and elevators. If you have problems finding your way to the departure level, ask traveler assistance where the closest uber pick up is located. United is in terminal 7 and you need to request uber or lyft at rideshare service pick up area F. Just request a ride after you have collected your luggage and are curbside. I recommend the low cost uberX unless you have excessive luggage. You will likely be picked up in a Camry or other mid-sized vehicle. Price from LAX to San Pedro is about $40. Check this link for more details. https://www.uber.com/airports/lax/ Hope that helps.

Edited by SoloCruzr