Internet Reliable on Panama Canal Cruise?

econprofessor

Hi,

I am traveling to the Panama Canal, full transit, on Quest in February. I will be teaching an online class. Is the Internet on the ship reliable on this itinerary?

I am debating between buying minutes and purchasing unlimited Internet access, but if it is not reliable, I will access it when I am in port.

Thank you.

We traveled last Feb (reviews in our signature) I did some posting on CC and twitter while on our Panama Canal Cruise with our free 90 minutes. We found it pretty unreliable on the Sea Days, and while in the Canal (but then we were busy seeing the canal not surfing or posting) It was pretty good in port, but while I could post and see email etc, it was difficult to upload photos, and photo heavy sites like FaceBook were challenging to load. I had better luck uploading a single photo to twitter.

There was free wifi in most cafes in Panama City, very little wifi in Costa Rica till we got to Caldera, it was just too remote. Cartagena cafes also have wifi. I think the concrete and "works" of the canal block signals from reaching the ship, because it was tough to access in the canal. Also, I think use is heavy by crew after 10 PM and by guests in the late afternoon before dinner and in the morning, I found it easier to use or after midnight or during dinner (in my cabin during dinner time that is, I wasn't surfing while eating, lol!)

• 2 weeks later...

we just sailed the Quest with a new internet connection. It was fast and reliable. I used twice a 24 hour flat on seadays. Even livestreams worked good. Ok, sometimes, like in the morning when a lot of people checked their mail ect. it took a little bit longer to receive things back. But still reliable.

we just sailed the Quest with a new internet connection. It was fast and reliable. I used twice a 24 hour flat on seadays. Even livestreams worked good. Ok, sometimes, like in the morning when a lot of people checked their mail ect. it took a little bit longer to receive things back. But still reliable.

We were on that same sailing and did not find it to be fast or reliable. Some of our friends didn't either. Could not get on at all one evening and the following morning. Also had problems getting booted off the internet. I did fill,out their survey. Hope to see improvements on future sailings.