American Culinary Federation?

B-Diddy

I had an interesting conversation with a new friend who worked on many of RCCL's ships as a tech installation contractor. Basically his job involved installing the media packages into each room and throughout the ship. I mentioned to him that my fiancee and I were about to take our honeymoon cruise this spring and that I had been reading the blogs, posts and forums about how the food had gone down hill over the recent couple of years. He started laughing and asked if I knew why. He basically implied that RCCL had decided to "build these gigantic ships" that blew out their overall budget and that they were forced to part ways with their chef and cook training company. He stated that they now hire people directly and there's no quality control. After digging around on the net I found posts that talk about RCCL partnering up with the American Culinary Federation back in 2005 ish. I was unable to find any information that correlated with their choosing to depart with this company that would correlate his story. I simply don't have the time to continue digging into this and quite frankly I don't really care. I'm going to have a great time no matter what but his story sure does fit with all of the squawking about the food being inconsistent and poorly prepared. Those sort of comments really seems to be consistent across the board for most reviews and posts as of late. So did RCCL dump their cook training program? Is that the real reason along with the lowering of the menu choices to cheaper items that the quality and consistency has dropped? Did they indeed choose "bigger and better" over quality?

American Culinary Federation is not a company. It is a "club", that provides certification, training and other type of functions to its members. It is geared towards chef's in the Hotel/Banquet type operations (which cruise ships would match up.

Found this from 2006. Basically ACF would provide continuing education and certifications to the line's chefs.

https://www.acfchefs.org/ACF/About/Media/Releases/Releases2006/ACF/About/Media/Releases/Archives/pr050311.aspx

Also found this link that as of year ago they were still afflitated with the ACF...

http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/709-royal-caribbean-menu-room-service

Edited by gatour