Anthem - Real and Growing Concerns

Hi,

I am getting very concerned about an upcoming December Anthem cruise.

We booked because of the extensive entertainment and live music offerings. It has been very concerning reading about the drastic cuts to the live music, ranging from variety to amount to quality.

From recent cruisers, we have read:

-Minimal live music (and entertainment in general minus a dj) following late seating dinner

-Minimal to live music at Music Hall, a venue originally designed to highlight Royal Caribbean's dedication to live music through a rotating variety throughout the course of a cruise.

-No tribute bands for the remainder of 2016 until the beginning of 2017. We booked awhile ago when tribute bands and live music was heavily advertised. Unfortunate that these would be cut for sold-out holiday sailings and that they can't be brought back one or two weeks earlier.

-Karaoke and a dj in music hall most/all nights opposed to having bands play and having a dj elsewhere

Some recent cruisers have noted:We were just on the Nov 27th 12 day sailing.

"We were also on the Anthem inaugural sailing last Nov and loved it so much we booked while onboard. The difference between then and now was night and day. RCI has penny pinched this ship so much it was painful to witness. If you have never been on another sailing maybe the entertainment was fine, but like the food it is totally subjective. The music hall was a joke, Recorded ballroom music, a lady playing guitar alone with no vocals at prime time. Karaoke, And the poor poor band that played most of the other times were worse than the karaoke. Only night we found it full was when Savannah Jack played. Last night comedy act was pitiful and i have never experienced so many people get up and leave during the show."

A current cruiser has noted:

"Yes, there have been cuts to the entertainment. I am on board now. The first night was karaoke in the Music Hall and the second night was a DJ that had music for the younger crowd. Tonight it is the DJ in the Music Hall at 11:00.

Would like to go into a cruise with an open mind. Just disappointing Royal Caribbean isn't listening to the noticeable cuts impacting some experience and that it can't be rectified prior to the remaining December sailings.

If by chance anyone is currently onboard - is there any way to address these concerns with ship management (cruise director and/or hotel director)?

Thank you.

I am on the Anthem right now. This is night 4 of the 7 day Bahamas cruise. There has been live music in the Music Hall, Boleros, Two70, and the Schooner bar every night.

For after the late seating there were a few options each night. For example, this evening had a guitar concert in The Music Hall from 9:15 to 11, One Love Band in Two70 from 9:45 to midnight, piano bar music in the Schooner Bar from 9:45 to late, and Latin Music in Boleros from 10 to midnight.

Tomorrow's schedule for night live music includes dance music with Synergy in Music hall from 9:15 -11:45pm, piano bar music from 9:30pm in Schooner, rock guitar music in Vintages from 9:15pm, and latin dance music with Mirage from 9:45pm on in Boleros.

I have read your previous posts about your concerns regarding live music on the Anthem. I don't think you need to worry. There are 4 music venues each night with live music. These are in addition to the nightly production shows in the theater and two70, and the DJ.

I am a veteran cruiser but this is my first time on Royal and on Anthem. I am having a great cruise and I hope you do too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by RocklandCruiser

Hi,

I am getting very concerned about an upcoming December Anthem cruise.

We booked because of the extensive entertainment and live music offerings. It has been very concerning reading about the drastic cuts to the live music, ranging from variety to amount to quality.

From recent cruisers, we have read:

-Minimal live music (and entertainment in general minus a dj) following late seating dinner

-Minimal to live music at Music Hall, a venue originally designed to highlight Royal Caribbean's dedication to live music through a rotating variety throughout the course of a cruise.

-No tribute bands for the remainder of 2016 until the beginning of 2017. We booked awhile ago when tribute bands and live music was heavily advertised. Unfortunate that these would be cut for sold-out holiday sailings and that they can't be brought back one or two weeks earlier.

-Karaoke and a dj in music hall most/all nights opposed to having bands play and having a dj elsewhere

Some recent cruisers have noted:We were just on the Nov 27th 12 day sailing.

"We were also on the Anthem inaugural sailing last Nov and loved it so much we booked while onboard. The difference between then and now was night and day. RCI has penny pinched this ship so much it was painful to witness. If you have never been on another sailing maybe the entertainment was fine, but like the food it is totally subjective. The music hall was a joke, Recorded ballroom music, a lady playing guitar alone with no vocals at prime time. Karaoke, And the poor poor band that played most of the other times were worse than the karaoke. Only night we found it full was when Savannah Jack played. Last night comedy act was pitiful and i have never experienced so many people get up and leave during the show."

A current cruiser has noted:

"Yes, there have been cuts to the entertainment. I am on board now. The first night was karaoke in the Music Hall and the second night was a DJ that had music for the younger crowd. Tonight it is the DJ in the Music Hall at 11:00.

Would like to go into a cruise with an open mind. Just disappointing Royal Caribbean isn't listening to the noticeable cuts impacting some experience and that it can't be rectified prior to the remaining December sailings.

If by chance anyone is currently onboard - is there any way to address these concerns with ship management (cruise director and/or hotel director)?

Thank you.

You nicely summarized only the comments supporting the lack of live entertainment. I have recently cruised on Anthem and commented here as have other very recent cruisers that there is plenty of nightly entertainment - just no tribute bands until January. You will have a great cruise. Note that Anthem is different by design. The live entertainment is spread out to multiple venues - not just the theatre or Music Hall. It also is designed for electronic or virtual entertainment is some venues like 270. It is a mix every night. This advanced technology on Anthem changes in some ways the traditional cruising experience. Some like it, others do not. Decide for yourself.