Odd Question about Dietary Needs

mints

Hello fellow Cruisers,

My GF and I will be taking our first NCL cruise in February, but she's been having a few questions that I haven't been able to answer.

She had a gastric sleeve surgery a year ago and now has a super strict diet with a max on carb intake and what not. Is there any way to work around this on a cruise other than pushing stuff that she can't eat on her plate to the edges? Or can she call and have herself tagged with dietary needs so they'll know how to make her plate at dinner?

I can't speak to your GF's specific dietary needs, but I am a gluten-free vegetarian, and have not had any problems having my needs addressed on our past two NCL cruises.

You can email the ship ahead of time, but I don't even do this anymore. On embarkation day, I go to the MDR and talk to whoever is at the host's station. They then mark me as having special dietary needs. At the end of dinner every night, I order in advance with my server for the next evening's meal.

If we go to a specialty restaurant, we just go and meet with the maitre 'd the evening before and, again, get the menu for the next evening's meal to order from.

They have always been very accommodating, and will make changes to the menu if possible, if you ask.

Hello fellow Cruisers,

My GF and I will be taking our first NCL cruise in February, but she's been having a few questions that I haven't been able to answer.

She had a gastric sleeve surgery a year ago and now has a super strict diet with a max on carb intake and what not. Is there any way to work around this on a cruise other than pushing stuff that she can't eat on her plate to the edges? Or can she call and have herself tagged with dietary needs so they'll know how to make her plate at dinner?

Email the Access desk now and have her explain her limitations. They will contact the ship and the Maitre D Headwaiter should meet with her each day for her dinner the next day.

Edited by NMLady

Awesome thanks for the quick responses. We're still 2 months out from the cruise, but we wanted to be on top of things to not let this obstacle mar what should be a fun and carefree time for both of us.

Awesome thanks for the quick responses. We're still 2 months out from the cruise, but we wanted to be on top of things to not let this obstacle mar what should be a fun and carefree time for both of us.

Contact the special needs department and let them know what is going on, that will get the ball rolling.

Contact the special needs department and let them know what is going on, that will get the ball rolling.

In my experience, contacting the special needs dept/access desk ahead of time doesn't do much. You still need to go to the MDR and talk to the maitre d' the day you get on the ship, and have them mark your reservation. You can also order the meal for that night at that time -- the rest of the cruise you will order the evening before.

I don't even bother emailing the access desk anymore (not that there's any harm in doing that).

Also, don't be shy to tell them about any requests at the buffet -- if they are able, the staff will be happy to go and get you what you need. ENjoy your cruise!