KSC & Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge in one day

Jonjonisatiger

We are renting a car and spending a couple of days post cruise in Port Canaveral/Orlando area and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into doing both the Kennedy Space Center and the wildlife refuge in the same day.

We will be there mid-March and the goal is to see some wildlife (crossing our fingers for manatee viewing) and spend around four hours at KSC.

Would the refuge be better to visit in the morning or late afternoon? We'd like to hit one spot, grab some lunch, and then visit the other. Are the lunch spots at KSC decent?

Advice is much appreciated!

IMO KSC is a bit $$ for just a few hours ... but whatever rocks your boat ....

within the MI Refuge Area the best places to spot manatee is usually at the drawbridge over the Haulover Canal ... there is a parking area and viewing deck here for just this reason (restrooms too as I recall) ... almost ALWAYS gators too .... this is a very popular launching point for kayak tours thru the area ....

haulover_zps65kshu4g.jpg

often, it is also worth checking out the boat launch area on the southwest side of the bridge .... I've been in here by kayak when there dozens of manatee hangin out ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haulover_Canal

So far as food at KSC .... don't get your hopes up IMO. You can eat but it is average attraction food at best .... (and nothing "just outside the gate")

p.s. because of secure areas on Merritt Island as part of KSC, you can't drive 'straight line' from the visitor center to the canal ... it is about a 27 mile trip ... you must leave KSC, go back to US 1, the north and cut back east ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

ran out of edit time!

haulover%202_zpshgzddzpb.jpg

on US-1 between the two spots you'll find plenty of food options of course ....

if manatee are here - and March is a good time for them to be - they are here seeking warmth so typically they'll be here all day and night ... until they decide to move on ...

Edited by Capt_BJ

You've got some good advice and information already, but just some thoughts on KSC...

The quick background: I'm 54. I am an absolute child of Apollo. On July 20, 1969, I sat in front of a 25 inch Zenith black and white cabinet style TV. I can tear up watching the dramatization of the final 2 minutes of the powered descent of Apollo 11 in From the Earth to the Moon. I am a space geek. My wife is not. That's important for the rest of this discussion...

You have a number of tour options at KSC. The last time we visited in I believe 2013 we did the tour that takes you to the various launch pads, the Vehicle Assembly Building (there is or was a tour that actually entered the VAB), and the Apollo/Saturn V exhibit. KSC basically figures the average visit will be 6-8 hours, and if you have enough interest in manned space flight to actually go, that's not a bad estimate. You'll spend over an hour at the Saturn V building alone, and there's travel time back to the main complex, and you MUST see Atlantis at that point. My wife, although tired and not nearly as into the space program as I am, stuck with it for those 6-8 hours with the total "wow" look when we did leave.

All the tours take you around the complex and then "end" at the Apollo/Saturn V building where you're on your own before catching a bus back to the main complex. Among the exhibits are the original launch control room (relocated intact) for the launch of Apollo 8. There's a similar exhibit for the powered descent of Apollo 11 from sometime after pitchover to "Houston, Tranquility Base..". AND, what I believe is the only surviving and obviously unused Saturn V rocket, suspended over your head.

The KSC web page estimates 2-3 hours for the basic tour with the stop at the Saturn V building. That's a really short visit IMHO, unless you just want a quick windshield tour. So 4 hours would be pretty tight for me. And, as stated, the direct line to Merritt Island takes you through restricted and therefore inaccessible terrain.