Ochio Rios; No Excursion

hhalliv

Hello Cruise critics,

I have a cruise planned in March with a stop in Ocho Rios. I have been to Jamaica only once before, where we docked at Falmouth.

From what I can gather, Ocho Rios is a resort area. It is our third port day in a row, so I would rather just leisurely walk to the town rather than wake up and have to meet for a scheduled excursion. We have a beach day in Cozumel and at the private island, so I really didn't want to shell out the money to go to an all-inclusive for a day.

So, my question: is Ocho Rios a port where you can walk it, do some shopping, and get a bite to eat? Would you advise it? Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Edited by hhalliv
Sp

Just off the ship u can walk to a few shops and stores. Make sure you travel in a group and don't go outside of tourist area. Jamaica has blue mountain coffee if you like coffee it some of the best anywhere and can be found right there

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for responding! Do you think it will be an enjoyable day, or would you recommend I go with an organized excursion instead? Another reason I'm not too keen on doing an excursion is I've done most of the excursion sites already (Dunn's River Falls, Blue Hole, Mystic Mountain, etc.)

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

Out of all the Caribbean ports, Ocho Rios is my least favorite because I've experienced more offers for drugs there than any other port. and many vendors are much more aggressive in their sales and will pretty much tell you anything to get you to book with them. I cruise a lot and there are many ports where I feel comfortable by myself. If you are content to stay in the immediate port area then you should be fine in Ocho Rios. If not then either book a tour or hook up with some tablemates who also want to explore the town. When you are out and about always keep in eye out for other tourists and if you notice there are not any others then you need to head back to the populated area.

I've been to Ocho maybe five times (but never via cruise ship oddly) and we usually walk main street at hit the craft market and the supermarket and maybe eat at Island Grill to get my fill of jerk chicken. There are some vendors that can be a bit pushy but it's never bothered me. (But I've spent over a month in Kingston so not much in Ocho can bother me haha).