Refund of Spirit Sailing

SantaAna,CA

I would like to add to Norm's comments regarding the Seabourn Spirit adventure off Somalia .I wasa passenger on the starboard side of the ship and awoke to see the evolving drama .I have the utmost praise for Captain Sven Pederson and the crew in handling the very serious situation.

On an other matter,the coordination and timing of connections from the arrival back in Mombassa by charter flight did not allow us to meet our forward booking to a game safari (despite repeated assurances from Seabourn personnel that they had it under control).Also, no Seabourn people coodinated matters at Mombassa and were left in a very difficult predicament to fend our way and arrange accomodation in Nairobi -are there others out there who experienced the same:) :mad: :confused:

That must have been quite upsetting and hopefully not too difficult. I am all to familiar with the phrase "TIA" (This is Africa) referring to people that simply do not show up, reservations that disappear, rules that change instantly, etc.

Were you able to make arrangements for another safari while in Nairobi? I know there is the small game reserve just out of the city, but it has been too many years since I've seen it. Parts of the city are interesting, as are some places in the outskirts, but I wouldn't want to spend too much time there.

thanks for your comment IamBoatman

I was able to land accomodation in "The House of Waine" by my own efforts in a lovely suburb of Nairobi where the diplomats and wealthy few in Nairobi live. We managed to get to the Masai Mara game reserve a day late -leaving only one night -beautiful experience non the less.

Kenya does have its urban problems and Nairobi is crime ridden with a huge shanty town slum.I suggest, if you can,go and see the new movie,The Constant Gardener, which highlights some issue in Kenya.

The people we met in the game reserve were warm and friendly -the game viewing ,including a leopard, just awesome.

thanks for this

It has certainly not put us off Seabourn -I am addicted -it was our 3rd. trip and our best to date - can't wait to go again - one of the guests from S. Africa on the ship has invited us to their private lodge on the Botswana border -hope to get there one day

regards

• 1 month later...
Has anyone in the upper ranks or anywhere for that matter, considered any type of compensation for the crew on board during this most traumatic event?

While I understand they did the job as "required", imagine the pressure to maintain a sense of calm and order as I have read and heard now first hand while ultimately fearing for their own safety.

It is nice to see a company looking out for the best interests of their customers,to keep them sailing, but arent those crew members the REAL reason Seabourn has had the huge success it has. Providing the luxurious atmosphere and impeccable service.It seems at EVERY Club party, this is the image portrayed and acknowledged by the Captain, officers, and guests.

Ultimately, everyone is thankful that only one crew member suffered injuries, and all guests were spared any physical harm!!

So come on Seabourn, take care of those that take care of you!

Any more of us want to get behind this idea!?

Let's let them know how proud we are of them!!!

Thanks for the ear~

Smooth sailing!;)

As far as I know the crew received days after the attack as "compensation" a phone card with the value of 10 $. Fair? What do you think?http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

:confused:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

:confused:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

:confused:

I would not comment or 'second guess' the appropriateness of what the Seabourn company did or did not do for their staff. However, it is my understanding that as soon as possible after the event there was a professional trained in dealing with the psychological issues that might have followed and this person was available to the staff.

Archived