El Yunque

pumpkin228

Thanks in advance for anyone able to help me out with this. My husband and i are going on our honeymoon and trying to plan out our time. In San Juan we very much would like to go to El Yunque Rain Forest but we don't really enjoy excursions. So here are the questions we have, can we access El Yunque on our own or do we have to do a guided tour? What is the cost to enter El Yunque (is there one) and lastly, has anyone had issues renting a car in San Juan. We are looking to rent from Hertz since it is right at the cruise terminal.

:) I tried to search in ports of call but it looks like all those posts are really old too.

Thanks again!

Thanks in advance for anyone able to help me out with this. My husband and i are going on our honeymoon and trying to plan out our time. In San Juan we very much would like to go to El Yunque Rain Forest but we don't really enjoy excursions. So here are the questions we have, can we access El Yunque on our own or do we have to do a guided tour? What is the cost to enter El Yunque (is there one) and lastly, has anyone had issues renting a car in San Juan. We are looking to rent from Hertz since it is right at the cruise terminal.

:) I tried to search in ports of call but it looks like all those posts are really old too.

Thanks again!

Yes you can rent a car in San Juan, yes you can go into El Yunque on your own without a tour, there's a visitor center be sure and stop there as there are several hiking trails and other points of interest. To my recollection there is no charge to enter the park. Check their website for more details I'm sure there is one.

I've travelled to Puerto Rico several times, but only to El Yunque once. I cannot recall if it was a ship excursion or through a third-party vendor, but we did go as a group. I remember some pretty significant traffic, especially on the way back. If I were to do it again I would probably do the ship's excursion (which I very, very rarely do.)

I was in Puerto Rico in late October there was a minimal entrance fee. I believe it was $4. You can definitely explore on your own. They will give you a guided map. I am not sure I would do it as an excursion on my own due to time constraints at each port.