144 Hour Visa - Arriving in Shanghai on Mariner

Nos_4r2

We are on the Mariner visiting Vietnam and getting off in Shanghai, staying overnight then flying back to Sydney - I called RC with regards to visas and they advised it was our responsibility to obtain visas and would not let us board if we did not have the correct visa. Our travel agent 'Hello world' advised that we need visas for Vietnam and China. Therefore we are not taking any chances and have lodged visas for both countries. It is not cheap but I thought it is better being safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 years later...
On 1/3/2017 at 4:56 AM, newport dave said:

We did a cruise on Celebrity last October, but we had Shanghai as a port of call in the middle and has we were returning to a Japanese port next we were ineligible for the 144hr visa. So we had to get a full visa if you wanted to get off in Shanghai. Celebrity allowed passengers without a visa to board, they just couldn't get off the ship in Shanghai. You should be fine.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Hi how did this go , curious as I can’t get a straight answer from anyone thanks

3 minutes ago, Johnbhoy1017 said:

Hi how did this go , curious as I can’t get a straight answer from anyone thanks

Whether you'll be allowed to board the ship will likely be up to whoever is handling embarkation, honestly I wouldn't risk it. If you don't qualify for the 144 hour exemption, just get the proper visa. Way better to be safe than sorry

4 minutes ago, Johnbhoy1017 said:

I am sailing from Singapore end in Shanghai, I qualify for 144 visa , was wondering how it went for you as did you do similar cruise 

We weren't eligible for the 114hr visa as we arrived from Japan and then returned to Japan, so had to get a tourist visa. 

1 hour ago, Johnbhoy1017 said:

I am sailing from Singapore end in Shanghai, I qualify for 144 visa , was wondering how it went for you as did you do similar cruise 

Just to clarify on my original post back in 2017. In the end we decided to wing it and go for the 144 hour visa on RCI. 

Despite rci call centre refusing to acknowledge it, the staff at Singapore cruise terminal and on the ship knew all about it and we went to through without any trouble. 

There is a 144 hour visa desk Shanghai terminal that processed our entry and we were approved and went straight through without needing a pre arranged visa. 

Our cruise was Singapore to Shanghai, but because our last port of call was Okinawa, japan, our itinerary allowed us entry and to fly back to Singapore as our itinerary was Japan > Shanghai > Singapore. 

Not sure if anything has changed since but we went through without a hitch.