SFB rental car experiences? Hertz and Avis

milton333

In an effort to avoid very high spring break airfare, I am flying into SFB (Orlando Sanford), renting a car, and meandering around Florida before and after my cruise.

The last time I rented a car at SFB was through Dollar, and it was a BAD experience. It took nearly a half hour just to pull up the reservation and get documents printed and a key located. Then the paperwork I had did not match the VIN of the vehicle, so security on the rental lot wouldn't let me out. Went back, got new paperwork, still no dice, again turned back at the gate. Finally had to transfer the child, car seat, luggage, etc., into a new vehicle. Three trips to the counter. In all, nearly an hour and a half of nonsense. Absolutely no way I'm doing Dollar/Thrifty at that airport again.

So, I have Hertz Gold and Avis Preferred. Hertz is considerably more expensive than Avis for this rental, but I'm hoping to breeze off to my vehicle, which usually works well with Hertz.

I'm looking for anyone's experiences with Hertz and Avis at SFB. I'd rather do Avis because it's far cheaper, but will be arriving late at night and cannot deal with a hassle at the desk if that's a known issue. Thanks for any thoughts.

Have not used Avis at SFB, but they have been top notch at every other airport I've been to recently. I usually get a text when I turn on my phone after landing with my car location - load up, check out and go. :cool:

We've had nothing but good service from the Avis location close to PC

Have a great cruise! :)

Haven't used hertz in Orlando, but used it in Tampa and it's the worst rental car experience I've ever had. I booked a compact and when I got there I requested a car with a trunk and had to move up one rental level to get it. I don't recall the specific numbers but it was a 5 day rental and he quoted me approx $50 for the upgrade. I said fine and he printed out the contract which listed the total price as what I had already paid plus $50. Now I did not read every word, and when I returned the car they pointed out that there was a per day cost of $15 listed, which actually made the upgrade $75. So returned the car with a total price listed as $50 extra and they said they were going to charge $75 extra. Asked to speak to a manager and was told one wouldn't be back for hours. Of course we had a plane to catch so had to leave. Eventually got it resolved through the better business bureau but won't ever rent from hertz again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums