Help me decide!

Chippet

Having real difficulty deciding who and where to sail with my disabled (wheelchair bound) husband.

We did P&O Britannia last year and although we enjoyed the cruise, felt very out of place due to our age (both under 33yo).

Looking at a different P&O, Royal Caribbean, NCL. But open to suggestions? Sailing from Southampton or somewhere less than 3hours out of UK. Really just want a ship with good accessibility and some interesting ports - don't mind if we can't visit them all. Ideally less than 10night duration.

Help?!

So far the ones I'm looking at are;

RC Northern Cities on Indepenance of the Seas

RC Western Med on Jewel of the Seas - this one worries me as outof the5 ports, we've visited 2 (Barcelona and Palma) and 2 are reportly tenders...but if the ship is worth it that's a compromise!

NCL Norwegian Epic and Jade have a couple that might be do-able (but my parents have cruised NCL and didn't like it)

Have considered a couple of Baltic cruises - but really want some sunshine and warmth, which is putting me off.

A lot of P&O cruises out of Malta - how accessible is Valletta?

Chippet

I have limited mobility and on our last few cruises have taken a manual wheelchair, although I can walk short distances, walk up and down the gang plank and manage stairs.

We did a Baltic cruise in mid September 2014 and had fantastic weather. In fact, in Tallin it was too hot around 32c. In SPB we did the 2 day Comfort Tour with Alla Tours. The guide and driver were extremely helpful and we got into places via special entrances, missing the queues.

Tallin is particularly disabled friendly, but I'm sure you could get around that. In Gdansk we did the ship's tour due to time constrictions. In all the other ports we did our own thing.

In the Med Greece and Italy are the least accessible, as well as somewhere like Ephesus in Turkey. Spain and France are quite good with Barcelona being probably one of the most accessible cities in Europe.

I would choose a couple of itineraries and then research the ports of call.

I can't help with any of the ship info as we would never want to go on one of t.he very large ships, but I am sure somebody will be able to help.

The Celebrity S-Class ships, Eclipse, Silhouette, Reflection , sail from your area seasonally, and are very accessible. They transition from the US in April. During the summer, there are all ages on board. We sailed with my young adult children, 18 and 20 in 2014, and my daughter was in a chair. She had no issues on board but had to be very careful picking which ports to get off. Therr were all ages on our June cruise.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Having real difficulty deciding who and where to sail with my disabled (wheelchair bound) husband.

We did P&O Britannia last year and although we enjoyed the cruise, felt very out of place due to our age (both under 33yo).

Looking at a different P&O, Royal Caribbean, NCL. But open to suggestions? Sailing from Southampton or somewhere less than 3hours out of UK. Really just want a ship with good accessibility and some interesting ports - don't mind if we can't visit them all. Ideally less than 10night duration.

Help?!

Things to consider

• Accessible Cabins book up very fast. Often a year in advance.
  • The newer the ship the better the accessibility.
  • Look for itineraries that have no tendered ports or at least the itinerary with the least tendered ports. Most ships use its life boats as tenders that do not have roll-on capabilities. Therefore unless that tender has roll-on-capabilities your husband will have to remain on board. Cruise personnel will not lift your husband and wheelchair into the tender.

Hi Chippet

I have limited mobility and use a scooter. I have done 4 med cruises from Southampton, and one Baltic and 1 to Bermuda and Boston sailing from New Jersey after 5 day in New York. I have sailed with P & O Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. If you want to sail with younger people Royal Caribbean in July and August will have a lot of young people on board and be quite lively. I have found Spain to the best for accessibility, The Baltic is wonderful but the weather very changeable so if you want the sun maybe not the best choice, I also recommend Allla tours and agree that Tallin is doable but oh! those cobbles!! As for Valletta I have been to Malta twice once on a cruise and have holidayed there too. Take care in Valletta as some of the hills are very very steep and they don't seem to have heard of drop curbs! but it doable with care. Just for your future reference I was very worried about New York but it was so very, very easy and the best think I have ever done. I am doing another Med cruise this year with Princess from Barcelona to Athens with 1 extra day in both I think Athens might be a challenge. Hope this of some help. if you post any ports you are interested in I might be able to give you a few pointer.

Thanks all so far for replies

Ports on the cruises we're looking at;

Bruges

Oslo

Hamburg

Paris (Le Havre)

Cannes (tender?)

Ajaccio (tender?)

Barcelona

Palma

Cagliari

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Provence (Marseilles)

Nice (Villefranche) (tender?)

Florence/Pisa (La Spezia) (tender?)

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Naples/Capri (tender?)

He will not be able to board a tender, so have reservations about some, but we aren't adament about getting off at all ports.

I'm intrigued that NYC was good - we love New York, have been 3 times and assumed we'd never be able to go again, so this gives me hope!!

Hi again Chippet.

Bruge is doable if you can find accessible transport, I did the "Bruge on your own trip, but I can manage the steps on the bus, but I sure there will be some suitable transport. Once there it is quite flat but a lot of Cobbles.

Ajaccio We docked so no problem I was using a wheelchair as scooter had broken!! We just went on the little train, but that may not be possible for you husband, but its nice just to have a wonder round, very pretty.

Barcelona no problems very wheelchair friendly.

Palma also wheelchair friendly still using wheelchair, it took us ages to find where the lift to the upper part of the city was and once up there decided to stay for the evening as we didn't sail to 1am , when it came to go back the lift wasn't working my friend and I had to find 2 strong men to help!

Cagliari We did a trip that just took you round to see the main sights, I think you can do the same trip with a fully accessible vehicle.. other wise you can spent a nice hour or two just strolling along the sea front where there is an old arcade of shops and restaurants. (don't miss the cat and mouse game, see youtube)

Rome 1st time I just did the easy Rome trip that takes you round the main sights you can also do this trip in a fully accessible vehicle. We are going back this year and I an hoping to see much more of Rome by using a private tour http://www.limousinecruservice.com. I am going to email them and see what they can do.

Villefrance tender. Still using wheelchair and went ashore but very hilly wanted to go to Nice but 2 hour wait for taxi so didn't bother.

Florence/Pisa been twice but docked at livorno If you can get transport there you will have no problems both very flat, and you have separate entrance to the Dommo so you skip the line.

Marseille, Going this year, looks quite doable.

New York. Fabulous First got met getting off Delta aircraft by a wheelchair and someone to push and fast tracked through immigration. I pre booked all our transfers with Dial 7 car service who would have suitable cars for you. Every where I went I was treated like royalty and fast tracked everywhere. I believe even the sub way is very wheel chair friendly but didn't try it. As it was our first visit we crammed as much as possible in. We the sailed on the Anthem of the seas to Bermuda and Boston both would be doable for you, but a lot of cobbles in Boston

Hope this helps

Thanks so much Scootergirl - very helpful!! Husband is particularly excited that NYC may be an option for us again :)

Not looked up any Celebrity cruises, so might do this. Otherwise think I'm set on between 2 of them. Have possibly left it too late to get an access cabin, so will need to see.

Flying will be interesting - not done it since he's been a wheelchair user and I suffer anxiety over planes; but if needs must :)

Your very welcome, My husband doesn't like holidays and I got so fed up of not going anywhere. Now I go away with a friend I have known since we were 11. Our children are grown up now so we now do the sort of holidays we should have done when we were younger. We have the best time ever and it is amazing what you can still do, we behave like teenagers again! I got so much help from cruise critic when I first started cruising so it's good to give something back. If you do your research it is amazing what you can do. Don't rule out Venice it is possible.

Chippet

Don't worry at all about flying with your hubby in a wheelchair as airport staff and airlines are very good these days. Just remember to book Special Assistance when you book the flight.

There is an American website SageTraveling that covers a lot of destinations for disabled travellers. May be worth a look.

Hi Again,

We did a 2 week baltic cruise on the Eclipes, one of favorite ships, very accessible lovely, roomy state rooms (we just had a standard balcony room as I don't need the bathroom facilities that your husband would need) Good food and entertainment. I would travel with them again anytime.

Not to distract from Chippet's query, but since this is a really helpful group...

I'm looking at a Baltic cruise with mom who has a very lightweight travel scooter. She can walk and do stairs slowly, for short distances. I've just begun researching and would love any advice about the specific ports: Stockholm, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Riga, Klaipeda, Warnemunde, Copenhagen. We'll likely do a private tour in St Petersburg as mom doesn't have the stamina for full day tours with groups. We've got the Rick Steves Northern Europe cruise ports book and that, plus your comments, have me very concerned about cobblestones.

Thanks!

Not to distract from Chippet's query, but since this is a really helpful group...

I'm looking at a Baltic cruise with mom who has a very lightweight travel scooter. She can walk and do stairs slowly, for short distances. I've just begun researching and would love any advice about the specific ports: Stockholm, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Riga, Klaipeda, Warnemunde, Copenhagen. We'll likely do a private tour in St Petersburg as mom doesn't have the stamina for full day tours with groups. We've got the Rick Steves Northern Europe cruise ports book and that, plus your comments, have me very concerned about cobblestones.

Thanks!

With all due respect it's not polite to hijack someone else's thread. In fact I believe not high jacketing a thread may well be part of the Cruise Critic Policy Guidelines. If not it's just common courtesy not to do so. You'll find that if you start a thread specific to your question pertaining to your Baltic Cruise everyone on this forum will be just as helpful.

Thank you for your understanding when it comes to future questions that are specific to you rather than the original post. e future.

With that said cobblestones especially in Tallinn will be an issue and are very hard on scooters, wheelchairs and walkers.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Help?!

I am a para and have traveled with my husband and daughter. While I am not your age I was. I think RCCL and Celebrity are the most accessible cruise lines. I would say depending on the actual cruise and if you can take a Freedom Class RCCL cruise you will fit in well. There will be many people your age. RCCL is very good about tendering people in wheelchairs, weather permitting. Celebrity is a fantastic cruise line but the crowd in general is a bit older. I do not know about P&O, in the US I found that I was among the young crowd on our one Princess cruise and I am in my 50s and were traveling with our friends for their 40th birthday.

I am a para and have traveled with my husband and daughter. While I am not your age I was. I think RCCL and Celebrity are the most accessible cruise lines. I would say depending on the actual cruise and if you can take a Freedom Class RCCL cruise you will fit in well. There will be many people your age. RCCL is very good about tendering people in wheelchairs, weather permitting. Celebrity is a fantastic cruise line but the crowd in general is a bit older. I do not know about P&O, in the US I found that I was among the young crowd on our one Princess cruise and I am in my 50s and were traveling with our friends for their 40th birthday.

RCCL is very helpful in attempting to assist passengers that are able to walk/up down a few steps and have a folding/colapsable wheelchair if the tender does not have roll-on-capabilities weather permitting . However the OP specifically stated that her DH is wheelchair bound . Therefore if the tender does not have roll-on-capabilities RCCL's crew are not permitted to carry the passenger onto or off of the tender regardless of weather conditions and will have to remain on board. The same applies to all cruise lines.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thanks all.

Yes on P&O we were very young compared to the others!!

Awaiting prices from a travel company at the moment. Possibly leaning towards RCL at the moment.

JSR do you fly? Do you use a manual or electric chair?

Chippet

I fly a lot and with either a manual wheelchair or mobility scooter. I think the majority of airlines are very good these days dealing with disabled passengers.

Funnily enough, I find Ryanair to be one of the best when it comes to Special Assistance.

When you book your flight you need to ensure you include the SA. If you are booking with a travel agent you must tell them of your needs. I am a sceptic and always double check that the airline are aware of my needs.

Not sure how many people in this thread are US-based so I will just chime in that the US has a federal law requiring public and most private commercial buildings to be fully wheelchair accessible. You should be able to get in and around nearly everything in New York City or any major U.S. city, although it's certainly a good idea to double-check on something you particularly want to see. There are probably still some old hole-in-the-wall restaurants and stores that have not been made accessible but they would be exceptions, not the rule. I do not know how accessible public transit is in NYC these days, haven't been there for 28 years and at the time neither subway nor busses were accessible. But I bet there is a NYC website that would give you current and accurate information.

Major U.S. airports are also very accessible and the airlines will provide any special assistance, often at no charge. I flew Spirit with my wheelchair a couple of years ago, and although they charge separately for everything (seat reservation, each bag), there was no charge for my wheelchair. My DH pushed me to the gate, I walked the few steps to the big front seat, they took my wheelchair down to the cargo area, at my destination they brought it back up to the airplane door. I believe most airlines have a narrow wheeled chair to get a completely disabled passenger in the door and down the aisle, but double check that.

Smaller U.S. airports - not so much. There is a small airport in my town that I have never flown from because you have to walk up a few steps to the small jets that fly here. We routinely drive 100 miles to the nearest major airport, fully accessible and even with accessible buses between terminals and parking lots.

I cruised on Oasis of the Seas, an Oasis-class ship, and it was extremely accessible. Dining venues, shows, ports - no problems at all (although the reserved areas for wheelchairs in the theaters were usually way at the back, I had no trouble seeing.) There were 2 places I couldn't get to, one an outside deck area that you had to climb a couple of steps to, another the very top deck that didn't have anything I particularly wanted to see anyway. There was a lift available to get disabled passengers into and out of the pool or hot tub, with a 300-lb weight limit. There was ample room in my handicapped balcony cabin for wheelchair and rented scooter.