Daytona 500 weekend

joebert

I am sailing on the Marnier of the Seas Daytona 500 weekend. I have already booked a hotel in Jacksonville. According to mapquest, it is about a 3 hour drive. I will have to go through Daytona on my way. I was planning on leaving the hotel between 7 and 8 in the morning.

How bad will traffic be? How much extra time should I allow?

You'll never do it leaving at that time. You'll need to leave Jacksonville at 4:00am or sooner. Traffic backs up at 5 - 6am and it's torture.

Let me give you a hint. Get off of I-95 at the Ormond Beach exit (SR40) and go east to A1A. Turn right (South) on A1A. You'll be running parrallel to the ocean. Continue south through Daytona Beach and Daytona Beach Shores. Turn right (West) on Dunlawton Ave.(SR421) and continue to I-95. Go south on I-95 and you'll be on your way. It'll take you a little time but you'll go completely around the Speedway. It sure beats sitting in that traffic for 3 or 4 hours.

I know from experience. I work at the Speedway for extra duty and it's a nightmare every year.

Good Luck.

I agree with the others. Race traffic is horrible. My husband left 3 hours early to attend the race here in Phx. and was only able to catch the last 100 laps of the race they sat in traffic for 5 hours!

I would just plan on being in PC the night before. I would not want to chance it, especially since that is the biggest Nascar event of the year!

jobert leaving at 7 or even 8 will get you there in plenty of time. The race started at 2pm this year. Traffic flows in very well now. In past years the race started at 1215pm traffic could get a little dicey. If you leave at 7 or 8 you will not be sitting in traffic for 3 or 4 hours. Well as long as a gasoline tanker doesnt crash on the interstate. Traffic on the Interstate by the Speedway at 7am this year was moving at normal speed.

My guess says leave at 7 get to Port Canaveral sometime after 11am. Heres a link with some traffic info. http://www.catchfence.com/html/2005/hh030105.html

The race could start even later this year

Let us know how it turned out and if you liked the Mariner. Shes a nice ship.

Archived