Port of Catania - Sicily Looking for Ideas

MrsMTC

We want to see Mt Etna but not sure what else to do here, just two adults. Is there a safe, easy way to get to Mt Etna and back? Has anyone rented a car and driven themselves?

Edited by MrsMTC

There is a bus from Catania to Etna (to Rifugio Sapienza) but it only runs in the summer. There are two departures each day but only the earlier one would work for you. Last summer the time was 8:15 AM, arriving at 10:15 AM.

The problem is the return bus, which is likely too late for you. It departs Etna at 4:30 PM and arrives at 6:30 PM, again assuming that the times are the same as last year.

The bus departs from the piazza in front of Catania Centrale station, which is less than a mile on foot from the cruise port.

The bus company web site is here: http://www.aziendasicilianatrasporti.it/

Odds are you'll need to either rent a car and drive or hire a car and driver.

Have you tried posting on the roll call for your sailing to find others who might want to share the cost of a car service?

Edited by euro cruiser

There is a bus from Catania to Etna (to Rifugio Sapienza) but it only runs in the summer. There are two departures each day but only the earlier one would work for you. Last summer the time was 8:15 AM, arriving at 10:15 AM.

The problem is the return bus, which is likely too late for you. It departs Etna at 4:30 PM and arrives at 6:30 PM, again assuming that the times are the same as last year.

The bus departs from the piazza in front of Catania Centrale station, which is less than a mile on foot from the cruise port.

The bus company web site is here: http://www.aziendasicilianatrasporti.it/

Odds are you'll need to either rent a car and drive or hire a car and driver.

Have you tried posting on the roll call for your sailing to find others who might want to share the cost of a car service?

Thanks for the info, I will check it out. I have posted on the roll call but it seems like it is just becoming more active lately.

If you decide against Etna, Siracusa is a good option. It's a little over an hour from Catania by train. Ortigia, the historic portion of town, is less than a mile walk from the Siracusa station. You could also walk or take a bus or a taxi to the Greek and Roman ruins, also a mile from the station (although in the opposite direction from Ortigia).

I would suggest going early and head to the ruins first, then take a bus or a taxi to Ortigia where there are several waterfront restaurants in the pedestrian district.

You can read about the ruins here (in Italian but good pictures and you can use google translate to get a sense of it): http://www.regione.sicilia.it/beniculturali/dirbenicult/database/page_musei/pagina_musei.asp?ID=55&IdSito=75

Edited by euro cruiser

Another alternative is Taormina, where you can see the Greek theatre. This is a little under an hour by train, plus a bus or taxi from the train station. The distance isn't far but it's steeply uphill, not a pleasant walk.

http://www.regione.sicilia.it/beniculturali/dirbenicult/database/page_musei/pagina_musei.asp?ID=43&IdSito=50

I would be inclined to find a private tour that would take you to Etna as well as Taormina and Castelmola, higher up again. I think it would be worth the cost as it is a very beautiful area.

I personally would not hire a car for the day because last time we got one from Catania airport we had to queue for over an hour to collect it. (that was after waiting for nearly an hour for our luggage at the airport) Same thing has happened in Milan and in Sardinia.

For Catania there is usually the choice of visiting Etna and/or Taormina. Being on a ship you can be constrained by the timings of arrival and departure which will impact on your choices for DIY which makes the ship's excursions more doable. Renting a car in Sicily when you have a tight schedule will eat into time as they may not realise that you need to be quite punctual and want to get going quickly. Plus driving in Sicily can be a bit of an adventure although once out of the towns it isn't too bad.

Driving upto Etna isn't very easy - neither Taormina so I would suggest you do the ship's excursion here. However you may be a much better driver than me and feel you could well give it a go ...but be aware.

Etna is fascinating and well worth seeing but you will need to bring a jacket and wear good walking shoes/trainers if you want to walk around the smaller craters. It can be cold up there, even when warm below. You then have the choice from the lower station to take the cable car further up and from there to go even further with a guide. It's quite an experience. At the lower station there are several restaurants and shops where you can purchase souvenirs etc. and you may well want to stay here and not proceed further.it is still very interesting and an excellent experience of seeing and being on the volcano.

Taormina is beautiful - there are shops, gardens and the amphitheatre looking out over the straits. When on an excursion, you will be dropped at a car park (usually Lumbi) from where you will be transferred to a local shuttle (sharing with locals) to take you up into the town itself as very little tourist traffic is allowed in the town proper.

I'm not sure you would have time to do the two places to do them proper justice but if you chose one of the then you should have a decent trip and see quite a bit.