A couple questions for the kids

DebFromCanada

First, I would like to thank all those that respond to these questions and share your knowledge. It is a great help and very much appreciated.

We have the late dinner seating and I think the dine and play option will be great for my boys. My question is, is it only items off the children's menu that can be expedited, or can they order whatever they want and get it quick enough to be able to leave with the councillors?

Also, do they remove shoes in the Oceaneers area and have a socks requirement? Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but it is socks only at our gym daycare and indoor playgrounds around here. I will be packing for 5 people for 15 days, so don't want to bring anything we won't need!

And finally, does anyone have experience doing the transatlantic with kids? Our boys are 9 and 7 year old twins. We took them on one cruise before (NCL) and they weren't into the kids club. I'm hoping that won't be the case this time! They were much younger then (twins were 3) and hadn't been to school or daycare at that time, resulting in some serious separation issues.

The kids can order off any menu and have it expedited. Expedited just means that they will bring the appetizer and the entree at the same time and get it out fast.

No, they do not have to go "shoeless" in the OC.

Sorry, mine was older when we did the TA. However, the benefit of a long cruise is that the staff really gets to know your kids and they tend to be a lot of fun. There are many special activities. I'm guessing you are looking at the Magic....Marvel Academy, anyone? I think it is hysterical to watch the fathers enjoying Marvel, with or without their kids.

The number of kids on the TA has been steadily increasing over the last 5-7 years.

I'm guessing you are looking at the Magic....Marvel Academy' date=' anyone? I think it is hysterical to watch the fathers enjoying Marvel, with or without their kids.[/quote']

Hey, we had to wait a LONG time for someone to get Marvel that right, let alone Disney.

And don't even let us dads near the Millennium Falcon room, on the Dream. :cool:

On the TransAtlantic, we had "adult only" time in the Oceaneer's Club. The counselors were really great. They truly encouraged us to "play." Of course, they were willing to just show off the place, but when parents were concerned about their weight on the slides, etc. the counselors did it first. There was no waiting for anything except marvel, and that was maybe 10 minutes if you wanted to do it; no waiting just to watch. Note--this was "adult only" time. The kids couldn't even watch, but you could take photos. During "Open House" hours, you can do it with your kids. Again, with 14 or 15 days, the lines are not bad at all. And the kid load is about half of a normal cruise, even accounting for the increase. On our first TA, there were 200 kids ages 0-17. On our most recent TA, that had increased to 600. Normal for a 7 night cruise on the Magic is 1000-1200.

The Dream doesn't surprise me. It would only be open to adults during "Open House" hours and there are so many people and so little time on Dream cruises that it is no surprise.

First, I would like to thank all those that respond to these questions and share your knowledge. It is a great help and very much appreciated.

We have the late dinner seating and I think the dine and play option will be great for my boys. My question is, is it only items off the children's menu that can be expedited, or can they order whatever they want and get it quick enough to be able to leave with the councillors?

Also, do they remove shoes in the Oceaneers area and have a socks requirement? Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but it is socks only at our gym daycare and indoor playgrounds around here. I will be packing for 5 people for 15 days, so don't want to bring anything we won't need!

And finally, does anyone have experience doing the transatlantic with kids? Our boys are 9 and 7 year old twins. We took them on one cruise before (NCL) and they weren't into the kids club. I'm hoping that won't be the case this time! They were much younger then (twins were 3) and hadn't been to school or daycare at that time, resulting in some serious separation issues.

Took my boys on 2 TAs, at ages 4/7 and 8/11. Also did a PC cruise at ages 6/9 IIRC. We all loved it, plenty to keep us busy. Couldn't drag my younger one out of the clubs, but with my older child it is hit or miss..but that is more to do with his personality.

On our last WBTA, there were something like 7 sea days, but we all decided to skip a port and make it 8 because we love being on the ship.

DCL has washer/dryers for you to use on the ship as well. Which we used during our 7 day Alaska cruise. The cost wasn't to bad but we did bring our own detergent pods.

DCL has washer/dryers for you to use on the ship as well. Which we used during our 7 day Alaska cruise. The cost wasn't to bad but we did bring our own detergent pods.

Currently $2 wash, $2 dry, $1 products (or bring your own). On the TA, we didn't have a problem with crowds in the laundry room. It was far easier than on some shorter cruises!

I don't think the kids have 15 days worth of underwear

I just had to add that my 11yo ds probably has that much underwear, but I'd still only see 2 or 3 pair in the laundry anyways! :eek:

That ds loved the club and we couldn't get him out either. Your kids will have a blast.