Sitka

TheCalicoCat

I have been on many cruises, and 100% of them have been in the Caribbean / Bahamas. That being said, I will say that for two months, ending June 17. 2017, I am living and working in Sitka, AK. I have not gone on any cruise-line sanctioned excursions, here. But I HAVE seen every land-based "attraction" in Sitka. I do plan on going on two different boat/ATV excursions Memorial Day 2017 weekend. If you would like to ask me any questions about Sitka, please feel free. After all, I am an experienced cruiser, and think like a cruiser. Every other day I see cruise ships come into at least one of the three ports, and I imagine that I'm stepping off them......

In regards to the sea otters: As I'm sure you've researched, just about every single boat-related tour will show you otters. I have only seen them from land, or while walking along the docks lined with fishing boats, and only occasionally. If I look hard, I might seen one on any given day. If I'm not looking hard, I probably see at least one every few days. So, it's not like they are all over the place to be seen while walking around Sitka. It appears you have to take a boat, which I haven't done yet, but will soon, if you want to be absolutely sure to see some otters. I am currently renting a house across the street from the Sitka Sound Science Center. Sometimes, I do see an occasional whale from my living room window. But if I really wanted to see them, up close, I'd take a boat. Note: The Sitka Sound Science Center is pretty darn small, so I wouldn't get too excited about it. I won't mention the other excursions, as you can, and probably have, read up on them already. But if you have a specific question, I will be sure to answer! In the meantime, I am REALLY excited about Memorial Day weekend 2017 where I'm taking the raft trip to another island, and then will ride ATVs, and have lunch provided! The second day, I am renting a motor boat with a HEATED cabin. Open bow and back. This is a rental, not a charter, so I drive it myself. 150Hp primary motor, and then a smaller one, probably 90+hp as a backup. Only $450 for the entire day. They might have 1/2 day rentals available. I don't think I'm allowed to post the name of the outfit here, but I'm sure you can Google boat rentals in Sitka, and find it.

As long as this thread got brought back to life....

Sitka Sound Science Center, within it is the Molly O. Ahlgren aquarium.

We're doing a "Birds, Bears & Barnacles" excursion (mainly due to wheelchair capable transport) so can I assume the SSSC is the barnacles part?

Also, from SSSC it looks like about 1/3 mile to the Russian Bishop's House so if the aquarium is last stop we might leave the route there is a walk over. It looks like there is a walking path along the harbor parallel to Lincoln St. that might be wheelchair suitable. Please correct this impression if not. Thanks.

Also, Touch Tanks - one in Juneau too at DIPAC which sounds very similar to SSSC.

Of note -- when you go may affect whether you see puffins. Our tour operator has told us that when we will be there, mid July, the puffins will likely be gone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We saw a few puffins near Gull Island in early to mid August last year as well as an otter munching on an octopus.

I've seen some folks say you "HAVE" to take a private tour - and, I don't agree. Especially since some of these people haven't taken a ship's tour in so long they have no business commenting on them. (Comment on the private tour you take, but leave it at that.)

Having said that, I have taken the ship's Allen Marine offering (Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest) and absolutely loved it. I will be doing it again while on the Eurodam.

Otters are a given...but we saw many, many humpbacks, sea lions, eagles and other birds. And, we were treated to a bear fishing and walking along the shore and we also saw a grey whale. We ventured into a cove with a beautiful, gentle waterfall. It was a splendid trip on a comfortable, clean, non-smoking boat with 2 naturalists who were wonderful.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy! Sitka has become my favorite Alaskan port.

Sequim88:

I am currently in Sitka for two months, ending in June 17th. I am renting a house across from the Sitka Sound Science Center. I can tell you that the entrance to the SSSC has handicap ramps, and that there are paved city sidewalks between it and the Bishop's house. If you go to the Bishop's house, you should have a person with you to help with the wheelchair. That is because the building was built prior to the current building codes. The park service has outfitted it with ramps, so you can certainly get inside. But each of the interior doorways have an elevated threshold of several inches. The park service made short, steep ramps on both sides of the thresholds, but I don't think I'd want to try to traverse them without a helper. The ramps are steep, and short. You will have no problem AT ALL, as long as you have a helper. The bishop's house is free admission, with donations requested.