Packing for a long cruise

TheCalicoCat

For anything up to 3 weeks, I basically pack one week's worth of clothing. In cooler climates some things can be worn more than once (e.g., a sweater, if you wear a t-shirt under it, a pair of jeans). I hand wash some things and try to adapt to whatever the line offers (I like the "stuff a bag" offered on HAL). I've never done unlimited laundry.

As for weather conditions, my system is a lightweight fleece zip-up jacket (like LL Bean's "Fitness Fleece") and then an unlined but fully waterproof rain jacket that can layer on top. When it's just a little chilly, the fleece keeps me warm with a long-sleeved tee underneath. Adding the rain jacket protects against wind or rain and keeps me warmer if needed. I also never go anywhere without a pair of silk underwear (tops and bottoms) in case of really cool weather -- they take up very little space.

Finally, if you plan to bring hiking shoes or heavier boots, wear them on the plane instead of packing.

We were in Europe for a month last September, two weeks in the middle were on the Prinsendam. We used their $30 a bag laundry service one time. By rolling our clothing we stuffed an amazing amount in the bag. It all came back neatly folded, even the underwear. That was all we needed for the entire trip.

A tip for wet & cold weather - cotton is not your friend. It gets heavy when wet, takes a longer time to dry and loses its thermal properties. This includes jeans, socks and sweat pants.

Try for performance fabrics, wool (especially wool socks) or silk.

If your suitcase will not easily slide under the bed, just lift the frame a bit as there is extra room past the side rail. Also, the laundry by the bag is a great value if you roll your clothes and really stuff things in. You should be able to get several days worth of laundry in 1 bag as I assume with dressing in layers, you would not need to wash all layers with each wearing. BTW - lived in MN for way too long and a man's cotton undershirt or a silk undershirt provides a lot of warmth with breathability.

Thanks for all of the comments.

I just got a new sweatshirt & thought, I'd like to bring this one on my cruise too.

Minimalism just may not be possible for me.:)

If you are only doing the cruise then no need to be minimalistic about packing, that's better for complex itineraries with many transfers where you are handling your own luggage getting on and off trains, trams, or buses.

If it's just the cruise, take what will make your vacation most comfortable! You can order unlimited laundry for $7/ cruise-night for the whole cabin ($9 for Europe). Enjoy, m--