Experienced Cruiser, new to Norwegian. Lots of questions!

TinyPinkBug

We have sailed Disney, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. Last year, I was between Norwegian Breakaway and RC Allure of the Seas. Based on reviews and comparisons of each ship, we chose the Allure and really liked it. But here I sit this year, deciding between the Escape and the RC Harmony of the Seas.

How is the Splash Academy? Of course nothing is going to compare to Disney, but I was disappointed with the kids club areas on both RCCI ships we sailed, on the Allure they combined ages 6-12 in one group and basically just played Gaga ball all day even though they always had fun activities listed for the clubs. It was fun for the hand full of older kids that kept winning, but boring for the majority of younger kids that kept getting eliminated early on.

Are public spaces too overcrowded? This was a determining factor last year, I remember reading the Breakaway class didn't have enough public space for the passengers, finding space in the pools and sun decks was challenging.

How are the meals? What would you say about the included dining options? We like quick service for lunch and snacks.

Does Norwegian still charge a rooms service fee? Is it all day? I just thought this sounded like they are nickle and diming passengers. Are there other things they charge for that would be unexpected? Someone once insisted all the included dinner dining options were buffet and quick serve, no sit down. I assumed that isn't true, is it?

How does the current pick two promo work? We will need 2 rooms (2 adults/1 child in one, 1adult/1child in the other) could I get say the internet and 3rd guest free in one room, then internet and drinks in the other? Or does everyone with connected reservations all need to purchase a drink package? If we choose free drink packages for both rooms, how does that work for the second guest being a child in one room, and then the third guest in the other. Do I have to purchase my daughter a soda package even though she doesn't drink soda?

What is the difference between the balcony rooms and the mini-suite? The only thing I can see is that the mini-suites pick up some space by having a bathtub? For the same price, I would prefer the extra space, but don't want a tub due to MIL's limited mobility due to recent knee surgery.

Any other insight would be appreciated. And THANKS!

Lots and lots of questions! You didn't say how old your kids are, but I'll answer best I can. We've done quite a few different lines and love Norwegian. We have yet to do Escape (sailing in June), but can give general NCL answers -- we did the Getaway twice and loved it!

We have sailed Disney, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. Last year, I was between Norwegian Breakaway and RC Allure of the Seas. Based on reviews and comparisons of each ship, we chose the Allure and really liked it. But here I sit this year, deciding between the Escape and the RC Harmony of the Seas.

How is the Splash Academy? Of course nothing is going to compare to Disney, but I was disappointed with the kids club areas on both RCCI ships we sailed, on the Allure they combined ages 6-12 in one group and basically just played Gaga ball all day even though they always had fun activities listed for the clubs. It was fun for the hand full of older kids that kept winning, but boring for the majority of younger kids that kept getting eliminated early on. I have three boys and they have all loved the Splash Academy. They separate them into 6-9 and 10-12 and they do lots of different activities. My kids were never, ever bored.

Are public spaces too overcrowded? This was a determining factor last year, I remember reading the Breakaway class didn't have enough public space for the passengers, finding space in the pools and sun decks was challenging. If you want to be right on top of the pool, it is crowded. Other than that, there are tons and tons of chairs on different decks you can go to and be near a hot tub, a bar or the grotto and you'll have plenty of space -- but right next to the pool is crowded.

How are the meals? What would you say about the included dining options? We like quick service for lunch and snacks. Meals are very good. Taste, Savor and Manhattan Room are all included, sit down and are very good. O'Sheehans is also sit down and very good. The buffet is quick service and I've not had anything on it I didn't like. The best thing is the pretzel rolls! Lots of different quick service frozen yogurt/ice cream type.

Does Norwegian still charge a rooms service fee? Is it all day? I just thought this sounded like they are nickle and diming passengers. Are there other things they charge for that would be unexpected? Someone once insisted all the included dinner dining options were buffet and quick serve, no sit down. I assumed that isn't true, is it? If you don't have eggs, you can have breakfast like continental breakfast at no charge. If you are in Haven, you get room service free all of the time -- other than that, there is a fee -- go enjoy the many places on the ship you can get food for free.

How does the current pick two promo work? We will need 2 rooms (2 adults/1 child in one, 1adult/1child in the other) could I get say the internet and 3rd guest free in one room, then internet and drinks in the other? Or does everyone with connected reservations all need to purchase a drink package? If we choose free drink packages for both rooms, how does that work for the second guest being a child in one room, and then the third guest in the other. Do I have to purchase my daughter a soda package even though she doesn't drink soda? The packages are per room so the 2 rooms are not connected via perk -- but first 2 people in each cabin do get same perk -- so if you get beverage package and person number 2 is kid -- that kid gets soda package -- even if she doesn't drink soda or put a different kid just for purposes of reservation that does drink soda. 3rd guest doesn't get perk -- only one and 2.

What is the difference between the balcony rooms and the mini-suite? The only thing I can see is that the mini-suites pick up some space by having a bathtub? For the same price, I would prefer the extra space, but don't want a tub due to MIL's limited mobility due to recent knee surgery. Only difference is larger bathroom with tub.

Enjoy yourself -- so many new and different things to do -- the District is a great brew pub -- Food Republic is pay, but amazing food -- there is tapas, a mojito bar and lots of great entertainment. I would say that NCL does food, entertainment and activities to keep you busy very well -- and if you want your kids to be in Splash all day and want something for you to splurge on -- try getting passes to Vibe (adults only) or to the Thermal Spa Suite -- have quiet and enjoy!!!

How are the meals? What would you say about the included dining options? We like quick service for lunch and snacks. Included dining is great - no need for specialties unless there is something you really want to do.

Does Norwegian still charge a rooms service fee? Is it all day? I just thought this sounded like they are nickle and diming passengers. Are there other things they charge for that would be unexpected? Someone once insisted all the included dinner dining options were buffet and quick serve, no sit down. I assumed that isn't true, is it? Room service charge is $7.95. There is no charge for continental breakfast. Of course there are sit down options. On Breakaway there are Savor, Taste & the Manhattan Room. O'Sheehans is also technically sit-down.

How does the current pick two promo work? We will need 2 rooms (2 adults/1 child in one, 1adult/1child in the other) could I get say the internet and 3rd guest free in one room, then internet and drinks in the other? Or does everyone with connected reservations all need to purchase a drink package? If we choose free drink packages for both rooms, how does that work for the second guest being a child in one room, and then the third guest in the other. Do I have to purchase my daughter a soda package even though she doesn't drink soda? Promos go with the cabin so yes you can pick different options for each room. The drink & dinner packages do not go on the 3rd person in the room. If a child were the 2nd passenger they would get the soda package. I don't know where you are from but if you are in the U.S. you pay the 18% service charge for the drink and dining packages. If you pick the drink package for 1 room the people in the other room absolutely do not have to purchase it - neither does the 3rd person in the cabin.

What is the difference between the balcony rooms and the mini-suite? The only thing I can see is that the mini-suites pick up some space by having a bathtub? For the same price, I would prefer the extra space, but don't want a tub due to MIL's limited mobility due to recent knee surgery. Basically minisuite is slightly larger. You can do searches for videos of each cabin and see the difference.

Hope this helps!