tunnel versus bridge

A question for all of you who use the NYC pier. We are coming from central NY, near Syracuse, for the 12/1 sailing of the Dawn. The last time we sailed out of NYC we were routed thru NJ and the Lincoln Tunnel. Even though it was a Sunday morning, their was a lot of traffic and merging wasn't fun. On the ship we were told to go back via the GW Bridge. That was a much easier commute. My question - on a Thursday morning in NYC what is the best way to the pier - tunnel or bridge?? Thank you to anyone who can help.:)

A question for all of you who use the NYC pier. We are coming from central NY, near Syracuse, for the 12/1 sailing of the Dawn. The last time we sailed out of NYC we were routed thru NJ and the Lincoln Tunnel. Even though it was a Sunday morning, their was a lot of traffic and merging wasn't fun. On the ship we were told to go back via the GW Bridge. That was a much easier commute. My question - on a Thursday morning in NYC what is the best way to the pier - tunnel or bridge?? Thank you to anyone who can help.:)

On the advice of the Captain, if I was on the ship I would go under the bridge rather than try to go through the tunnel.:D

What you do when you get off is up to you.

I am sure that the NYC residents will give you a much more sensible answer.

When we cruise out of NY from Connecticut, we take the Merrit Parkway, Cross County Parkway, to the Henry Hudson Parkway, which takes us directly to the West Side Highway and the Cruise Ship Terminal. Now, as we proceed through NY, we pass a connector to the Tappan Zee Bridge. Without a map in front of me, I was wondering if an approach from Syracuse via the Tappan Zee would work for you. We have not have any trouble arriving at the pier by 11/11:30 am, leaving home in central Ct around 9/9:30 am. Years ago it seemed there was always contruction and/or accidents on the H H Pkwy, but it has worked well for us of late, whether it's a cruise or a visit to the city. Rush hour might be a problem, but I would shoot for arriving about 11/11:30 to get onboard, check out your cabin and the ship, have lunch, and prepare for the lifeboat drill and Sail Away.

Archived