Not So Elated About Elation News (or lack thereof)

4yanx

It seems that EVERY Carnival ship affected by the Wilma damage has now been rescheduled/rerouted EXCEPT for 5-day Elation cruise leaving Galveston on Mondays between now and Dec. 31. ALL others. I post this in the event that ANYONE can tell me ANYTHING more about these cruises.

I have called and asked courteously on three separate occasions over the course of three weeks to inquire whether anyone there knows when these Elation cruise plans will be finalized. We would like to plan on at least one shore excursion. On two of these occasions, the reps were downright rude, and on a third, less rude but unhelpful. So, yesterday, I asked kindly to speak with a supervisor. This person (name on request) basically told me that she couldn’t tell me anything and that decisions will be made by the port authority and the Captain. I asked if there was any way to estimate WHEN that decision might be made (I did not ask what the decision might be). I was told LITERALLY that it could be today, it could be tomorrow, it could be next week, it could be the day before we cruise. I mentioned that I had called the day before final cruise payment was due and that the only reason we did not cancel then was because we were told that there was a 99.9% chance we would still be doing Coz and Calica. I was told yesterday that maybe we would and maybe we wouldn’t and that Carnival would not be giving any cancellation or compensation options until they made a decision that involved a change. When might that decision be made? Maybe today, maybe tomorrow, maybe…….

This is ridiculous.

As a side note, we were originally booked on Sensation out of NOLA which was cancelled due to Katrina. We re-booked on Elation and paid $175 more per person for the same itinerary (we were told it was because our rebooking was later in the “season” from our original (but the exact same sailing dates) and Carnival was not honoring fares on cancelled cruises). Plus, we had to pay $100 pp for airline rescheduling and were forced to book three hotel rooms and airport connections the day prior to sailing (ON CHRISTMAS DAY!), ALL at our own expense, because we cannot get flights which would get us in to Galveston on time for the cruise on the 26th. I asked about how many folks on our Elation cruise were originally booked on Sensation and was told “about half”. So about half of their passengers they don’t mind jerking around – TWICE!!!!

Sorry you're not happy, it sounds like you need a cruise! Sometimes things don't go the way we planned, and as to Cozumel its an act of God and the ships will not go there until both the authorities in COZ and the cruise lines agree that it is safe to do so. Even though some ships have started going there, the city and island can only support so many due to the damage, and no one can predict when all is completely well. I just got off the Elation yesterday and we were diverted to Playa Del Carmen, because COZ was still out of order, but from what we were told even Playa still had extensive damage. I'm sorry mother nature has caused your disruption, but its not totally a problem that can be easily solved. By the way I still enjoyed my cruise very much. We too were scheduled on another ship the Estausy and was changed but hey a cruise to any where is better than no cruise at all.

Mother Nature caused the original problem, Carnival is needlessly extending the problem. Like I said, they have rescheduled EVERY other ship and even the Elation on cruises other then 5-day Monday trips out of Galveston. They can't even tell folks on the 11/28 cruise where they are going, much less 12/26, and they've had plenty of time to do so. Sorry, but IMHO this is unacceptable, no matter how you want to couch the issue.

No telling what kind of hoops Carnival is having to jump through on the port side.

As far as the money is concerning, a Christmas Cruise is considered peak sailing times. Wasn't your original cruise booked in off season (fall)?

I can empathize with your frustrations.

It seems that EVERY Carnival ship affected by the Wilma damage has now been rescheduled/rerouted EXCEPT for 5-day Elation cruise leaving Galveston on Mondays between now and Dec. 31. ALL others.

I feel your pain...I have been dealing with cancellations, re-scheduling, and shortened cruises too. I had to re-book after my Sensation cruise was cancelled at a much higher price on Elation and in the rush to do that (I guess I was panicked about the prospect of losing my December cruise) I have forfeited my $100 pp shipboard credit which technically raised the cabin's rate $200. So basically what I did was pay the amount of a cheap 7 day cruise for this 5 day in December! I have been "upgraded" to a 6D cabin, but truthfully I paid for every cent of it and then some. And they won't go back and give me my shipboard credit now. Oh well. I did that to myself in a way, I suppose.

I have resigned myself to the fact that we are indeed the only sailing that hasn't had the itenerary announced and that where ever we go, it'll be better than staying home working!! LOL Hopefully we'll get to go someplace nice. I have a non-refundable hotel booked, so I won't cancel the cruise even if they do a 5 day CTN! I just want to get far enough south that it'll be warm enough to be comfortable. My expectations are re-adjusted accordingly...

No telling what kind of hoops Carnival is having to jump through on the port side.

As far as the money is concerning, a Christmas Cruise is considered peak sailing times. Wasn't your original cruise booked in off season (fall)?

I can empathize with your frustrations.

No. Both the original Sensation cruise and the current cruise were booked as 5-day cruises leaving 12/26. Exact same dates. Exact same itinerary with the exception that the one out of NOLA was Calica one day and Coz the next while this one is reversed (Coz first, then Calica). That assumes, of course, that this is the final itinerary (which is the point here!). :-)

We made the Sensation reservation in June. When we had to rebook the Elation after Katrina (again, same cruise - different port), we were told that it must be booked at the THEN current rate (higher than in June). When reminded that we made our reservations originally in June we were told that those rates no longer applied because the cruise was cancelled. The Elation re-booking was considered by Carnival as a NEW booking with respect to the fare charge, and they charged us more, accordingly. To repeat, they would NOT honor the original fare.

I found out from an online news letter that came from the TA with whom we booked our 11/28 Elation cruise that at present they (port authorities) are allowing 4 ships per day into Cozumel. Since we have not heard anything, and given the apparent popularity of Veracruz/Progreso, I am hoping that Carnival is trying to work with them to get the Elation into Cozumel on Nov.30 and Calica on Dec.1. I would imagine that until they expand the number of ships allowed per day, that those 4 spots would be highly coveted by the cruise lines. Hopefully by the 28th they will be able to handle more ships in Cozumel. I understand from other threads that the first day went well as far as tendering is concerned. As much as I want to know right now where we're going, I would rather find out the day I board that we'll get to go to Cozumel than know today that Progreso/Veracruz would be the ports.

As much as I want to know right now where we're going, I would rather find out the day I board that we'll get to go to Cozumel than know today that Progreso/Veracruz would be the ports.

Thanks for the info, bachstrad...and I couldn't agree with your statement more. I already did Progreso in September...I hope we can stick with our original itenerary. But if we can't please no more Progreso! lol

(I am trying really hard to maintain my level of gratitude that I am even going on a cruise, but my nerves are wearing thin!)

Yes, thanks for that info. I just heard the same thing from a friend who was told this by a Royal Carib rep. Too bad Carnival can't give a caller enough respect to assume that they can understand such an explanation instead of saying "we don't know", "we don't know when we'll know, "we don't know why we don't know". Sheeesh

Me? I'd like a definite decision, on eway or the other. At least if it WAS Progreso, I wouldn't be wasting my time booking a Chichen Itza excursion.

Me? I'd like a definite decision, on eway or the other. At least if it WAS Progreso, I wouldn't be wasting my time booking a Chichen Itza excursion.

I certainly understand your view. One of the things I really enjoy about taking a trip of any kind is all the planning. I want to know where I'm going, how long it will take to get there, and what I'm going to do when I get there. When all of that is worked out, I can then relax and enjoy the really fun part: getting there!

4yanx. It's the port authority that determines how many ships will be permitted in until piers and infrastructure is back to normal. Cruiselines can't just port when they want to and the cruiselines just have to wait for notifications.

HDawson. And so for EVERYONE else on EVERY other cruise, EXCEPT for the 5-Day Monday cruisers on Carnival, they are able to do this. Is this is what you're saying? If so, and with all due repect, I'm not buying. Also, please don't trot out "the port authority decides" as if, in the case of Cozumel, Carnival can only stand back and hope for the best. They OWN most of the facilities associated with at least one of the docks and call the shots as much or more as does the "authority".

HDawson. And so for EVERYONE else on EVERY other cruise, EXCEPT for the 5-Day Monday cruisers, they are able to do this.

I haven't kept up with any company but Carnival...are we seriously the only sailing to be affected that has not been told what's going on?? I know that Carnival has changed all iteneraries except ours, but ALL the lines? Am I understanding that correctly?

HDawson. And so for EVERYONE else on EVERY other cruise, EXCEPT for the 5-Day Monday cruisers, they are able to do this. Is this is what you're saying? If so, and with all due repect, I'm not buying. Also, please don't trot out "the port authority decides" as if, in the case of Cozumel, Carnival can only stand back and hope for the best. They OWN most of the facilities associated with at least one of the docks and call the shots as much or more as does the "authority".

I think you're peeing in the wind, cause what the poster above said is pretty much the way it is. You're on a cruise, feel lucky and enjoy it. Here is Bob Dickinson's e-mail, see if he can fix it, he is the CEO of Carnival, but my guess its not something that can be undone.

bdickinson@carnival.com

I think you're peeing in the wind, cause what the poster above said is pretty much the way it is. You're on a cruise, feel lucky and enjoy it. Here is Bob Dickinson's e-mail, see if he can fix it, he is the CEO of Carnival, but my guess its not something that can be undone.

bdickinson@carnival.com

Feel lucky and enjoy it? Even if you're treated rudely for asking simple questions, being charged extra for no valid reason, and being kept in the dark without explanation? You might be right that to complain is "peeing" (your characterization, not mine) in the wind, but that is a weakness with respect to Carnival's lack of customer service, and not a reflection as to whether it is your opinion whether or not I should feel lucky. Please. I'm glad you had an enjoyable time on your cruise, but I'll ask you not to tell me how I should feel about the treatment I've received througout this process.

BTW, I e-mailed Dickinson (and very courteously, I might add). Never heard back.

Feel lucky and enjoy it? Even if you're treated rudely for asking simple questions, being charged extra for no valid reason, and being kept in the dark without explanation? You might be right that to complain is "peeing" (your characterization, not mine) in the wind, but that is a weakness with respect to Carnival's lack of customer service, and not a reflection as to whether it is your opinion whether or not I should feel lucky. Please. I'm glad you had an enjoyable time on your cruise, but I'll ask you not to tell me how I should feel about the treatment I've received througout this process.

BTW, I e-mailed Dickinson (and very courteously, I might add). Never heard back.

I wish you luck and a safe voyage, where ever you go!

I haven't kept up with any company but Carnival...are we seriously the only sailing to be affected that has not been told what's going on?? I know that Carnival has changed all iteneraries except ours, but ALL the lines? Am I understanding that correctly?

From what I have been able to gather from EXTENSIVE research is that every other cruise line, except Carnival, has made specific decisions regarding what they will do through the end of this year (some 10-14 days ago). And, among Carnival cruises, only the 5-day Monday cruises out of Galveston are still up in the air. Granted some of the other lines do not have as many cruises going into and out of Coz, but they've had time to decide on cruises between now and year's end.

If I am mistaken and there are other cruises left up in the air, I'd appreciate knowing and will stand humbly corrected.

I guess the good thing is that we are not the guests of FEMA on a cruise ship sitting at a dock in New Orleans. We haven't lost our home and all worldly belongings. Finally, the small print does say that every cruise line has the legal option of changing any port call at any time they choose.

I guess the good thing is that we are not the guests of FEMA on a cruise ship sitting at a dock in New Orleans. We haven't lost our home and all worldly belongings. Finally, the small print does say that every cruise line has the legal option of changing any port call at any time they choose.

Odd choice for a first post, having been a member for 3 years.

Please do not go there on your high horse with respect to lecturing on being fortunate. Yes, I am fortunate. I also (along with my sons) spent nearly three weeks personally volunteering with clean up operations near Gulfport (including being part of a group marking X's on buildings) and have contributed significantly of a financial nature elsewhere.

I will point out that mentioning a problem/citing poor customer service and having compassion for those displaced are not mutally exclusive feelings - but that really should obvious.

Archived