Getting to St Johns questions

james'mommy

We have been researching / debating mentally whether to go to St.Johns while in port in July. We dock at Crown from 8 - 5. The sticking point for us is there are 5 of us. I should have signed us up for a RCCL shore excursion to Honeymoon Beach on St.Johns when is was discounted to around $64 per person. That included ferry, transportation on the island, chairs, snorkel equipment, boards and kayaks. The website was messing up when I tried to do so and when I was able to get in the next day....it was back to around $84 per. When we look at doing the taxi and Red Hook, getting to a beach, and chairs (and that does not include activities for the 3 teenage boys).....just doesn't make sense financially for us. The St.Johns on your own through RCCL again, when you add the taxi and chairs on the island.....too pricey and we would have to pay for kid's activities.

We have decided to taxi to Emerald Beach for about 4 to 5 hours 1st thing in the morning....renting chairs and umbrella there. Might splurge for some water sports for the kids since the transportation costs will be so little. Then head to downtown (kids have never been there as we have previously docked at Havensight with them and just shopped there) with the boys for awhile. Been about 20 years for us to visited downtown.

Hope your plans go well on St.Johns.

Edited by baileybrad
Missing words

It does get expensive when 1 person is paying for several people as with a family. You're looking at ~$240 total (+ amenities) to go on your own to Trunk Bay, versus ~$50 total (+ amenities) for Lindbergh Bay.

So it is a choice you have to make based on your own situation. Lindbergh Bay is a nice enough beach, and maybe you can "splurge" at one of the other ports with the money you save here!

It does get expensive when 1 person is paying for several people as with a family. You're looking at ~$240 total (+ amenities) to go on your own to Trunk Bay, versus ~$50 total (+ amenities) for Lindbergh Bay.

So it is a choice you have to make based on your own situation. Lindbergh Bay is a nice enough beach, and maybe you can "splurge" at one of the other ports with the money you save here!

Blue, you have gotten to the heart of the matter for us. We are going to be doing an all day excursion with Irie Tours on Curacao later in the week. You are so right how the number of folks does impact the costs quickly. We understand that the ambiance and cost of the cruise are part of the equation. The stops on the islands make up another huge part of the experience. If we splurge on one island, we tend to balance it out at the next stop. We will get some good beach time in Aruba. We are going to the Marriott on St.Kitts. I am not always sure what is the number we should spend on the islands. We can afford it but we also see spending some of that money on our next cruise. It is a balancing act at times. Really appreciate how much you add to this board with your knowledge of how to enjoy these islands. There are so many beach choices on St. Thomas/St.John. I do think that being down at Crown has cost impacts for us on this stop. The location of Crown is the biggest factor in us selecting Emerald.

I do have one question about that location for you. I recall you mentioning that you have a preference over one of the hotels there as to the "vibe". Why is this and what do you think we should tell the taxi driver as to where to drop us at Emerald? Should we mention a specific hotel?

Twingles3 I should have added that the ship excursion from Crown is not a bad idea and is an easier option for you being in port just 8 hrs. It can indeed be a rougher ride but shouldn't be that bad. We and others just prefer the Red Hook option for the independent travel and that's just our opinion. You would probably be at the beach at 12:30 and would need to leave the beach no later than 4:30 (4 hrs beach time) and take the 5PM return through Red Hook. So that sounds similar to what others are saying from Crown...

Thanks I booked the St John on your own with the ship as I was given a pre cruise discount so 29pp is a deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most taxis drop you off at the public entrance to the beach which is on Emerald Beach Resort property.

The hotel to the right of that entrance is the Island Beachcomber which is a few yards from Emerald Beach. They're close enough to each other that you can walk to both and choose the one you prefer, but mosr people prefer the food and drinks at Island Beachcomber.

Yes it is definitely a balancing act and I think Lindbergh is a good choice when docked at Crown. Honeymoon Beach on Water Island is sometimes recommended for Crown cruisers, but that just gets so crowded and the ferry can be a challenge for the return. Emerald is a very nice day! As Ms411 said you will find both resorts there and can choose between them. The Emerald resort is a very nice property with a restaurant and beach bar and nice restrooms and lounge/umbrella rentals by an independent operator I believe. The Island Beachcomber is also nice and just appeals to us because it's a bit more casual with a younger vibe. But we are a couple too and you may find Emerald Resort to be nicer. You can try both and settle where you feel more comfortable.

Appreciate your kind words!