Land in Madrid Cruise out of Barcelona

flaca

Has anyone flown into Madrid and taken the train to Barcelona? The price adding in the train tickets is still a nice savings. We would also experience an extra city. We gave ourselves two days pre-cruise to make our way over and one day post. It seems train is around 3 hours.

It looks good on paper wondering real life if anyone knows?

I've taken that train multiple times. What's the specific question?

How inconvenient would it be compared to just flying into Barcelona? It's seems simple mapping out the train stations in the cities. The price seems reasonable, it's not 60 days out so can't officially buy but seems about $40-$50. They run frequently. Is the area around the Barcelona train station a good place to book our hotel. Otherwise I was thinking of getting to area closer to the pier

My hometown, a person would consider close enough to NYC, but getting from our local airport to the city on public transportation would be a hassle (even with the railroad being within ten miles). So to hear from someone with experience I would feel better.

Thank you for any help you can offer on the subject

Edited by flaca

... train takes you from the centre of Madrid (Atocha) to -nearly- the centre of Barcelona (Sants)... 'nuff said, right? :). As in any city anywhere, traveling to/from the airport increases the total traveling time and it's sometimes a hassle and not worth the price difference. The airport in Barcelona is merely 12 miles... but still... I personally prefer the train noting that high speed trains are much more comfortable than a plane. This is a typical high-speed train:

As per where to locate your hotel, if I were you I'd probably choose a central area, say l'Eixample district for a more classy surrounding, or the Ciutat Vella (Old City) for a more historical ambiance. Please have a look at this post of mine in TA for some reflections: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k7501495-Advice_on_where_to_stay_in_Barcelona-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#58674908

Thank you for info.

Saving Is over $400 even with the cost of a train tickets for the family. I can deal with some hassle for that. Plus, we can scope out another city since our post cruise stay would be one night there to make departure easier.

Check out the Paseo del Arte hotel for your time in Madrid. Very reasonably priced and it's an easy walk to the Atocha train station....we easily managed it with an airline destroyed roller bag. The Prado and other museums are also within an easy walk.