Celebrity cruise boarding documents at Fort Lauderdale, Florida

NSTravel

Just wondering what documents are required for Canadian citizens to board the silhouette in Florida. The description of required documents on their website isn't perfectly clear, but what I gather is we will need: passport, Xpress pass, credit card, and luggage tags. What about proof of health insurance? Anything else?

Just wondering what documents are required for Canadian citizens to board the silhouette in Florida. The description of required documents on their website isn't perfectly clear, but what I gather is we will need: passport, Xpress pass, credit card, and luggage tags. What about proof of health insurance? Anything else?

I don't believe proof of health coverage is required at check-in to board.

However you should bring health insurance documentation for your own reference in case you need it.

I also bring another form of photo ID to keep with me when I leave the ship so I don't have to carry my passport everywhere. You may be required to show photo ID when returning to the ship at a port.

Xpress pass, credit card and luggage tags are optional.

Bringing the xpress pass does make the boarding process a little faster because without it, you first need to start providing the information when you get to the port.

Some people use a cash account instead of a credit card account for their shipboard account -- your choice.

Using a credit card account is easier and less hassle though, and reduces the risk of needing to carry around a lot of cash that may be lost or stolen.

Luggage tags are provided at the port, where you may tag your bags yourself, or have the porters tag them for you.

Health forms are also provided at the port. You fill them out and they usually collect them, although occasionally they don't.

Health insurance is optional. It would be a good idea to find out if your Canadian health insurance covers you outside of Canada, if you don't already know.

Bringing a photocopy of your passport is always a good idea.

That is what we take off the ship to use as ID at the ports so we can leave passports and driver's licenses safely locked up and not risk the chance of them being lost, damaged or stolen.

If the photocopy should be lost, damaged or stolen, it can easily be replaced.

We do need to take the driver's license if renting a car though.

Government-issued ID aside from your passport.book. Proof of health insurance not needed.

Bringing a photocopy of your passport is always a good idea. That is what we take off the ship to use as ID at the ports so we can leave passports and driver's licenses safely locked up and not risk the chance of them being lost, damaged or stolen.

If the photocopy should be lost, damaged or stolen, it can easily be replaced.

That is a good idea - have you ever had trouble returning to ship with port security accepting a photocopy of photo-ID?

That is a good idea - have you ever had trouble returning to ship with port security accepting a photocopy of photo-ID?
Never yet, at any port in any country. We just show our seapass cards and photocopies of our passports. They barely glance at them and wave us right through each time

But when we are at a port where we need to show the actual passport itself (such as St. Petersburg), they let us know in advance, and so of course we take our passports then.

I would not just use any photo ID as I believe a copy of a passport is preferable to a copy of a driver's license or a work ID, for example.

Port security people are familiar with the appearance of passports of cruise passengers from major countries, whereas the appearance of a driver's license or job ID can vary greatly within the same country.

We figure worst case, if port security people ever have any doubts, or even if we should lose everything and return to the port with no ID at all, they can call the ship and have someone who knows us vouch for us.

(They could even show our photo ID that is in the ship's security system, if necessary.)

But that should not be necessary as we are so sweet and harmless and innocent looking.....:D:p:halo:

Edited by varoo

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

What is the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)?

WHTI is the joint Department of State (DOS) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) plan to implement a key 9/11 Commission recommendation and the statutory mandates of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA). IRTPA, in part, required the DHS and DOS to develop and implement a plan to require all travelers, U.S. citizens and foreign nationals alike, to present a passport or other acceptable document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the United States.

What is the goal of requiring secure documents?

The goal is to strengthen border security while facilitating entry into the United States for U.S. citizens and legitimate international travelers, making the process more efficient and convenient.

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via air?

• U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business. Note that children are also required to present their own passport when traveling by air. (note: The Indian/tribal card can NOT be used for air travel).
  • Requirements for lawful permanent residents of the United States are not changed by the implementation of WHTI. Lawful permanent residents must continue to present a valid Permanent Resident Card. A passport is not required.

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

• U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.
  • U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.
  • WHTI does not affect U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, who are still required to present their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status.
  • Canadian citizens can present a valid passport, Enhanced Driver’s License, or Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST).
  • Bermudian citizens are required to present a valid passport.
  • Mexican citizens, including children, are required to present a passport with visa, or a Border Crossing Card.
  • U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

Nexus .. Just had a long conversation with several cruise Line Agents at their 1-800 number on the Canadian X website the last purporting to be the supervisor.

Purpose was to ascertain for sure what I need to board a X ship in Seattle to go to Alaska and back to Seattle with a stop of course in Canada (Im a citizen of Canada)

Several things were mentioned one of them being completely incorrect so I will not mention it. One more is iffy so I won't mention it either.

First lady had not heard of Nexus as being in the "Trusted Traveler Program"

Both kept on saying I needed a passport. Finally got the 2nd lady to amend her thinking to Birth Certificate and Government ID. (Drivers Lic.)

I'm still not happy cause nether one liked the idea of Nexus which is just really confusing and I'm sure not going to travel with her final recommendation. Anyways.......

Does anyone have a number or contact person with the Cruise Line or Captains Club (if they actually exist anymore other than for benefits and points)

MY Travel Partner's Passport has expired but has Nexus. Which is good enough to fly from Designated airports also. X's website clearly links to home lands WHTI site as copied in previous post, which clearly shows Nexus. The other thing in play here is the fact that we board in the USA which means we would have crossed the border of the Country the ship is leaving from. Before I receive advice that my partner should get a passport as it's best. We know that.

It's just that budgets are tight for some folks and that is in play here. Thanks.

going to Post this is the AK/Wet Coast Forums also '

Thought I would just piggy back here on this one to start.

I am not 100% sure but I believe your nexus goes on hold if your passport expires. Last time we renewed ours I forgot to update the Nexus information and spent a scary 45 mins in the customs office thinking they would keep us off our flight. Since we had our passports with us we were allowed to proceed but were unable to use Nexus lines until I updated the information.