Float Plane or Helicopter excursion

secretcastle

I am trying to come up with a wonderful excursion to surprise DH with. We have been to Alaska a number of times and some whale watching, dog sledding, zip lining, etc . I am really afraid of helicopters and planes , but I think he would love one of those excursions as he loves adventure , so I am wondering people's thoughts of spectacular tours they have taken. We will be in Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Anchorage, Kodiak, Homer , Icy strait.

Thank you so much in advance , you are all so helpful and it is much appreciated :)

I'd suggest your "surprise" be, you are giving him a flight, and have him choose. This isn't a tour to just randomly book,or based on strangers on a message board. It isn't going to mean much is you tally up the comments, because, you are going to get rave reviews about all the flight seeing in Alaska.

Ā 

I will also caution you, to think carefully, if you are making yourself join him. I've flown with too many people who never should have stepped foot on the aircraft. A few times, this impacted everyone else. (one time, had to be a psyc session, because a woman didn't want to get back on the plane in Misty, shaking, throwing up and crying most of the time) Be sure you would enjoy it as much as every one else. These aren't cheap tours.

Thank you, Budget Queen, I appreciate your thoughtful answer. I was worried that the excursions might sell out before his birthday ( end of April, and cruise is beginning of August ) but maybe having him choose from what is available would be best. I was afraid to zip line and ended up having a lot of fun , maybe a float plane could be fun - definitely more shy about the helicopters.

Thanks again ! :)

Thank you, Budget Queen, I appreciate your thoughtful answer. I was worried that the excursions might sell out before his birthday ( end of April, and cruise is beginning of August ) but maybe having him choose from what is available would be best. I was afraid to zip line and ended up having a lot of fun , maybe a float plane could be fun - definitely more shy about the helicopters.

Thanks again ! :)

Ā 

There will be plenty of flying available if you are giving this wonderful gift the end of April. I just booked a trip for first week of June, and got my Misty flight lined up yesterday.

Ā 

IF you happen to want "Island 'Wiings", She certainly is excellent and very popular, that is a tour, that may not be available, even now. If a priority for you, you may want to think about booking now, then take the cancellation policy into account. I will say, I fly every time I'm in Ketchikan, and there are a boatload of superb, long standing pilots that I have flown with and I'm very picky. :) I don't find Michelle any better or worse than most of them, which sometimes gets inflated with reviews. . She knows me and I do give her high praises, along with several others.

I just booked a trip for first week of June, and got my Misty flight lined up yesterday.

Ā 

We are just going to miss each other, I'm on a B2B the last two weeks in May. It would be nice to meet up in port sometime :)

I am trying to come up with a wonderful excursion to surprise DH with. We have been to Alaska a number of times and some whale watching, dog sledding, zip lining, etc . I am really afraid of helicopters and planes , but I think he would love one of those excursions as he loves adventure , so I am wondering people's thoughts of spectacular tours they have taken. We will be in Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Anchorage, Kodiak, Homer , Icy strait.

Thank you so much in advance , you are all so helpful and it is much appreciated :)

Ā 

When is your cruise? I have a flights planned in Ketchikan & Kodiak. I want to see bears, so my cruise is in July - when the salmon are spawning. (Another option, you could fly over Misty Fjords out of Ketchikan.)

When is your cruise? I have a flights planned in Ketchikan & Kodiak. I want to see bears, so my cruise is in July - when the salmon are spawning. (Another option, you could fly over Misty Fjords out of Ketchikan.)

Ā 

Calico Cat- we are on the July 21st Amsterdam sailing.

Are you going on a flight to see bears in both places? I hope you see lots :)

Salmon spawning is pretty neat to see as well. We are from the Vancouver area so we have had a chance to see Quite often :)

Thanks so much for answering!! My roll call is super quiet and I try to respond to everyone to keep it going, but it is lonely . This cruise is so much fun to plan :)

Calico Cat- we are on the July 21st Amsterdam sailing.

Are you going on a flight to see bears in both places? I hope you see lots :)

Ā 

Yes, to answer your question, but our cruise is July 17 on Amsterdam... Are you sure that your cruise starts July 21, 2017 on Amsterdam? On July 21, 2017 Amsterdam will be in Juneau.

Ā 

(If you meant 2018 - never mind. Crazy old lady sitting behind this keyboard.)

Yes, to answer your question, but our cruise is July 17 on Amsterdam... Are you sure that your cruise starts July 21, 2017 on Amsterdam? On July 21, 2017 Amsterdam will be in Juneau.

Ā 

(If you meant 2018 - never mind. Crazy old lady sitting behind this keyboard.)

Ā 

Sorry , that should have read July 31st lol

• 3 weeks later...
There will be plenty of flying available if you are giving this wonderful gift the end of April. I just booked a trip for first week of June, and got my Misty flight lined up yesterday.

Ā 

IF you happen to want "Island 'Wiings", She certainly is excellent and very popular, that is a tour, that may not be available, even now. If a priority for you, you may want to think about booking now, then take the cancellation policy into account. I will say, I fly every time I'm in Ketchikan, and there are a boatload of superb, long standing pilots that I have flown with and I'm very picky. :) I don't find Michelle any better or worse than most of them, which sometimes gets inflated with reviews. . She knows me and I do give her high praises, along with several others.

Ā 

BQ, I have read a TON of your comments on here...you are more like the CC Queen! LOL! ;p I have a question about the heli/glacier tours...I know you recommend the longest trek possible...but due to time constraints because of a fishing charter, the only one we have time for is the Icefield Tour thru Coastal...in your opinion is it still worth it since we will have such a small amount of time on the ice??

I am one of those people who should never set foot on the plane. I remember all too well the days when the only planes out of our regional airport were propeller planes and too small to stand up in. Claustrophobia and motion sickness are a bad combo. Even the prescription patch I get for regular flying and cruising would not cut it. Just a thought...do you have to fly together? My h is doing the flight excursion solo while I take nice boat ride. With an observation deck...where I can be outside (and maybe throw up over the edge if I need to).

• 2 months later...

Ā 

Ā 

Hi BQ: You mention a boatload of float plane operators. I am too late for my late August trip with Island Wings. She was booked. I can't seem to get through to another highly rated one, Mtn Air. All my research seems to come up with those two. Can you suggest a couple others? Thanks!

Hi BQ: You mention a boatload of float plane operators. I am too late for my late August trip with Island Wings. She was booked. I can't seem to get through to another highly rated one, Mtn Air. All my research seems to come up with those two. Can you suggest a couple others? Thanks!

Ā 

I highly recommend Southeast Aviation, and Jeff Carlin. Mountain Air is fairly new to Ketchikan.

We did a float plane out of Ketchikan in 2011. It was the highlight of our two trips to Alaska. The scenery was unbelievable and at one point he landed and we walked on the floats to take pictures. It really is quite amazing!

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPad using Forums