IPhone text messages

Hello,

Has anyone else had trouble receiving text messages while onboard with an IPhone? I don't get any text while at sea but once I get to an island, all my messages will come through. Has anyone else experienced this? I have the IPhone 7. I prefer to receive any messages I get regardless of cost so I am curious if anyone else has experienced this and what the solution was.

My messages have been delayed for a few minutes, but never as long as you describe.

Are you on Verizon? I know that they discontinued data over Cellular at Sea, and that would delay MMS and group messages.

I am on Verizon. What do you mean they discontinued data over Cellular at Sea? I would think a normal SMS would come through but those don't either.

I agree, normal SMS should still come through even with cellular data off.

Are you able to make or receive voice calls during the period that you don't get text messages?

I never try to make calls. I feel like I may have received a couple calls when I can't get text. I plan to call Verizon support on my next cruise when it doesn't work but I thought I'd check first to see if anyone else had this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never try to make calls. I feel like I may have received a couple calls when I can't get text. I plan to call Verizon support on my next cruise when it doesn't work but I thought I'd check first to see if anyone else had this problem.

I would also check if you can enable WiFi calling. That would give you full phone functionality over the ship's WiFi, without any charges from the cell carrier. Of course, you would have to purchase the ship's WiFi, but if you are already doing that, then having WiFi calling would be a bonus.

I have Verizon and my texts were coming through on Anthem but I was in airplane mode with wifi enabled and was connected with Voom.

How recent did you have your issues and which ship? Verizon has really been messing with their plans and services over the last couple of years. Did you receive any of the Verizon texts showing you what your charges would be if you used your phone? I get those when my phone is not in airplane mode.

I do not purchase the ships Wifi. I usually never had a problem until the last two cruises. One was on Liberty last May and the last one was Freedom in January. It was on two separate phones so I know that's not the issue. I do receive the texts when I get to the islands

I normally turn all data off while on the cruise ship but keep texting and voice on.

I am also on Verizon and I also have an iPhone (older than yours though). What I noticed on land is when I turn data off completely even when I am connected to wifi - no texts with images in them (and that includes emoji) would get sent or received. I spoke with a Verizon rep at one of their locations about that and he said that you do need data turned on, even if you set your texts to NOT use data, and even if you are connected to wifi. It still needs data, it will only use a little bit, but with those roaming charges onboard I can totally see why you'd want data turned off. :eek: Not sure if this helps, just my two cents.

I am also on Verizon and I also have an iPhone (older than yours though). What I noticed on land is when I turn data off completely even when I am connected to wifi - no texts with images in them (and that includes emoji) would get sent or received. I spoke with a Verizon rep at one of their locations about that and he said that you do need data turned on, even if you set your texts to NOT use data, and even if you are connected to wifi. It still needs data, it will only use a little bit, but with those roaming charges onboard I can totally see why you'd want data turned off. :eek: Not sure if this helps, just my two cents.

That's why I mentioned MMS texts above. Sometimes people don't even know they are sending an MMS text, because they use a group message or like you say, they add an emoticon. Sometimes people also don't know they are using iMessage to send texts and not SMS.

I do not purchase the ships Wifi. I usually never had a problem until the last two cruises. One was on Liberty last May and the last one was Freedom in January. It was on two separate phones so I know that's not the issue. I do receive the texts when I get to the islands

Did you receive the texts from Verizon wireless and cellular at sea telling you the rates? If those make it through, then others should too.

I have purchases Voom for all my recent cruises and typically my phone is always connected so hard to compare what is happening with yours to mine.

I do know that on Oasis last year, I did not purchase Voom and was able to get texts. I have data roaming off as a default. You said you turned off all data, I wonder if that is the issue. My Oasis cruise was prior to Verizon dropping data services on the ships, though I did not incur data charges for my texts, they came through SMS.

I usually receive the texts from Verizon when I get in range of an island cell phone provider.

Good call on the emojis. I did not know that was MMS. Unfortunately not all my messages have had that, so I don't think that's my issue.

I usually receive the texts from Verizon when I get in range of an island cell phone provider.

Good call on the emojis. I did not know that was MMS. Unfortunately not all my messages have had that, so I don't think that's my issue.

I usually get the Verizon texts late the first night when we are at sea.

I have AT&T for personal and Sprint for work .. both ipone 6. I went ahead and purchased VOOM for 1 device that I think I will put on my iPad. How do I enable wifi calling, texting ? WiFi Assist ? will I be able to use on the Anthem ?

Hello,

Has anyone else had trouble receiving text messages while onboard with an IPhone? I don't get any text while at sea but once I get to an island, all my messages will come through. Has anyone else experienced this? I have the IPhone 7. I prefer to receive any messages I get regardless of cost so I am curious if anyone else has experienced this and what the solution was.

Where were you sailing? I had no issues on a trip to the Bahamas, but in the Inside Passage of Alaska, I lost all service and got my text messages delayed.