Gaudi's Experience or other excursion in Barcelona

lyndss

Hi

Just back from Barca, I would be tempted to take a taxi from the port to SagradaFamilila when you've done there take a Touriste HOHO bus to the main plaza then nip across the square and pick up the Red line all the way round at the end you will be back at Pl Catalunya and top of La Rambla stroll down to the bottom and you are virtually at the port

Kev

We heard a lot about pickpockets before our Med cruise, but had no issues. I got a bunch of new shirts (Field & Stream, at Sams Club) that had multiple pockets with Velcro, plus a zipper pocket exactly big enough for my passport. Take passport, driver's license, and one credit card in zipper pocket, then distribute 20-Euro notes in various other pockets. Could also have worn a money belt but did not see the need. I would avoid taking a belt pack or purse, however.

I second what everyone says about the Sagrada Familia, and add that Barcelona is a great town for walking. Start at the Columbus statue at the lower end of Las Ramblas, then walk up Las Ramblas. Near it's end, there's two Gaudi buildings, and a short walk to Sagrada Familia. Someone above mentioned a market - if that's the one on Las Ramblas, it's easily worth an hour to walk through. There's also the Picasso museum, and I hear it's free.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Just back from Barca, I would be tempted to take a taxi from the port to SagradaFamilila when you've done there take a Touriste HOHO bus to the main plaza then nip across the square and pick up the Red line all the way round at the end you will be back at Pl Catalunya and top of La Rambla stroll down to the bottom and you are virtually at the port

Kev

Hi Kev,

Did you go into the SagradaFamililia? If so, did you book the tickets ahead of time? Were you able to visit any other Guadi architecture on the HOHO bus?

Thanks!

The Hoho bus gets my vote too! You get a lot to look at & I did 2 routes in one day. [emoji4] looking forward to going back to Barca in July as have a few days before & after the cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have just come back from Barcelona and did the Gaudi tour( different cruise line)If you decide to visit Sagrada Família please go inside. it does get busy and there are pick pockets around. Our tour guide from Barcelona had his eye out for them, he knew who to look for, we felt very safe. I would recommend a ships tour as you bypass all the queues.

Barca is one of my favorite Euro cities have visited there about 20 times the past few years and will be there again soon, but, like all cities throughout the world, especially ports, there will be pickpockets. Just be aware and sensible and enjoy the beautiful city.

I also think the HOHO bus is the best value around to see all the sights. We have had private tours, ships excursions and walked a lot, but the HOHO gave excellent value for the price. Look on the Barcelona City web site for festivals and things for free when you are due to visit, loads of amazing things the last visit for us, hope you are as lucky.

Hi Kev,

Did you go into the SagradaFamililia? If so, did you book the tickets ahead of time? Were you able to visit any other Guadi architecture on the HOHO bus?

Thanks!

Hi

Yes went in and it's best to book in advance the Q's for tickets can be unreal at times, well worth it it's amazing inside. There are a few other Guadi pieces esay to get to on the HOHO, we liked the 1st building he did with the dragon gates.

Kev

• 4 weeks later...
We just returned from Barcelona. Stayed 6 days, used the metro pretty much each day and had no problems figuring it out. Used bus also to Parc Guell and back.

Looked at the maps ahead of time on-line and had a good idea of where we were going ahead of time and all.

Also no close calls with pick pockets. But keep my purse under my jacket most of the time and keep my hand on it at all time too.

Thanks for the tip. I'm glad to hear everything was okay with pickpockets. I will have to ensure I have something small to put under my shirt.:)

We have just come back from Barcelona and did the Gaudi tour( different cruise line)If you decide to visit Sagrada Família please go inside. it does get busy and there are pick pockets around. Our tour guide from Barcelona had his eye out for them, he knew who to look for, we felt very safe. I would recommend a ships tour as you bypass all the queues.

That would be a good option to be on the safe side, thanks!

Barca is one of my favorite Euro cities have visited there about 20 times the past few years and will be there again soon, but, like all cities throughout the world, especially ports, there will be pickpockets. Just be aware and sensible and enjoy the beautiful city.

I also think the HOHO bus is the best value around to see all the sights. We have had private tours, ships excursions and walked a lot, but the HOHO gave excellent value for the price. Look on the Barcelona City web site for festivals and things for free when you are due to visit, loads of amazing things the last visit for us, hope you are as lucky.

Thanks! I will check out the website. I didn't think of that!

Hi

Yes went in and it's best to book in advance the Q's for tickets can be unreal at times, well worth it it's amazing inside. There are a few other Guadi pieces esay to get to on the HOHO, we liked the 1st building he did with the dragon gates.

Kev

Hi Kev,

Do you have a recommended time we should buy tickets for the cathedral? We arrive in port at 9:00 and I'm thinking we will do hop on hop off bus to get there. Not a clue how long it will take or if we should stop at the other places on the way, or go straight there first. Thanks for all the info!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! We've decided to go with the hop on hop off bus. We have already bought tickets for Sagrada Familia, based on your recommendation. I'm also going to buy the bus tickets ahead of time. I'm just not 100% sure where I pick up the tickets if I do that. When I started to book it said at the end, before I hit submit, tickets would arrive July 14th. That's a problem, considering, we will be actually in Barcelona then, not at home, so I didn't press submit. I thought I read somewhere that proof of purchase would be emailed to me and I take that directly to any bus to get tickets. I just don't want to hit submit if that's not the case. Does anyone know how it works if I were to purchase tickets online?