Msc splendida

Caterina50

Hi, I am new here but would like to get some feedback as I will be sailing on the MSC Splendida in July 2017 (Mediterranean). Any suggestions, good or bad reviews, anything we should be aware of? Thanks for any information greatly appreciated.

Hi, I am new here but would like to get some feedback as I will be sailing on the MSC Splendida in July 2017 (Mediterranean). Any suggestions, good or bad reviews, anything we should be aware of? Thanks for any information greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to my review of a repositioning cruise on Splendida from UK to Genoa last September

You may find some information which could be of use to you

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=11857

Pete

Hi, you will love it.

Just remember, it is an Italian cruise line, and, Italians might do things a little differently.

We have been on MSC a few times, and will be back again.

if you drink, buy the drinks package before you leave. Coffee is include with this, and, for the small cost, you will get drink your money back very quickly.

:D

Wow thanks for the review Pete, interesting.

Have you ever visited these places in the Mediterranean (i.e. Palermo, Valencia Spain, Marseille France, Genoa)?

I've been to all of them.

Palermo once

Valencia twice

Marseille four times

Genoa eleven times, mostly for embarkation/ disembarkation, although I have stayed over night pre and post cruise because of flight arrangements. I haven't really seen the town as a tourist or visited many places except on foot or going to the aquarium ;and the airport and docks :D

here is a link to an excellent review of Genoa as a walking tour

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/06/13/one-way-to-do-genoa/

Hi

We were on Splendida last week, currently attempting my first cruise review!

This was our first MSC cruise, had planned another one in October but not going now.

For us the ship was just too big and so busy with many large family groups of very noisy, rude, inconsiderate Italians.

I have found this review which is very interesting reading, hope it helps you. I found it in the list of reviews for MSC Spelendida on this forum.

MSC Splendida Overview

By David G. Molyneaux, Cruise Critic contributor

The best thing I can suggest, is to make a list of all you liked and enjoyed on those ships as well as anything you didn't like. The read as much as you can on the pros and cons of Splendida and see how they match up with what you want from a cruise.

It is very difficult to judge by what other people say as we are all different. (thankfully lol) but our experience last week has made me realise that I need to pick much more carefully for our next cruise.

Sometimes you think you have it right but you don't :(

One thing I made a BIG mistake on was thinking there would maybe only a few children. OMG how wrong was I! Didn't realise it was holiday time in Italy. It had devastating consequences for us :(

Well the thing for us was that the price was really good so that is why we opted to go with MSC. I hope that in July there are less screaming and running kids around....(lol) anyways we will make the best of it. We will be in beautiful Italy, France and Spain so we will take that into consideration. Thanks for all your input. Have a wonderful day...:)

I hope that in July there are less screaming and running kids around....(lol)
I don't think there's any hope of that. But it would be same on any other cruise line in July, and I don't think Italian/European kids are any worse than American/Canadian kids. The adults are a different matter… :(

I would like to give you some hints as well and encourage you to be surprised in a positive way... I am platinum on NCL but due to recent price changes we went on the Splendida last August for the first time and this february for the second time, due to excellent pricing and good experiences on our first trip.

We had a really good time on the ship, you will find the experience not too different to the Jewel class NCL ships, drinks and food is really really good, but has a distinctive italian touch for sure.

The italians are used to eat 4 or 5 course dinners, plus bread, typically you should order a soup or cold starter, followed by risotto ( Excellent !!! ) or Pasta 8 they make all pasta on board freshly), then a plate with fish or meat dishes and desert.

You will not find huge portions of steak or double chicken breasts like on the NCL ships, but you will be fully satisfied after your 5 course meal...

Drinks are very good and as expected, the boat has an extensive wine list at really really good prices and i encourage you to go to the wine bar at least once and have the sommelier open a nice bottle for you, as an extra they will serve you warm and cold italian snacks without any cost.

there are 5 or 6 different styles of fresh pizza available from noon til midnight, they never run out and quality is really good as well ...

Make sure to be informed regarding coupon books for beer and cocktails and drink packages, we did choose the voucher booklets both time and found them to be of excellent value, i cannot see a way to drink enough to pay for the full size drink packages, for example most of the cocktails were 6-7 EUR, beers in the 4-5 EUR range for the specialty ones.

Have a good time, yes, south europeans are a a lively bunch, sometimes loud, but it is part of the lifestyle down there ....

Thanks for the input and information Megaelch...wow at least I feel a little less anxious, and surely will follow your advice. I truly do hope that I will have a surprisingly pleasant experience but will keep my expectations at a minimal level. Have a wonderful day and once again thank you.