2-Way Radio's for Kids

I'm looking for advise from others that have used these on the ship (2-way radios/walkie talkies). We are taking our 4 kids on the Splendor over spring break. We know they'll be hanging out with other kids all the time instead of with us and we are going to buy some of these so we can keep in touch. Is there a certain brand or model that you know worked or didn't work? We don't want to spend the money to buy 4 sets and then have none of them work. Any help would be appreciated.

We've never taken kids on a cruise, but we've taken them to Disney World and let me tell you, walkie-talkies are invaluable.

I have a set of Motorola Talkabout radios; the model really doesn't matter, but make sure you get radios that have the subchannels. Our radios have 14 channels and then 38 subchannels per main channel. You want these because with only 14 channels, you'll end up talking to everyone else on the same frequency. However, if you set all your radios to channel 13, subchannel 26 (or whatever combination you find convenient), you'll probably have it all to yourself.

I'd also get radios that use AA batteries instead of the ones that have the internal rechargeable batteries. That way, if the batteries die, you can replace them and send your kid on their way instead of having to stick it on a charger for a while.

Re-post of my standard commentson this topic:

If you did a search you would find that this is a hot topic. Be prepared flaming and lots of negative posts.

Yes, they work fine but you must get at least the 5 mile type and ones with lots of sub-codes to avoid listiening to others. There may be a few dead spots especially communicating from the bow to the stern. For groups they are very valuable. We used them on Navigator for a Family Reunion. Could not have done without them.

Some suggestions to minimuze annoying others.

1) Get the vibrate type and use on vibrate only.

2) Turn off the chirp.

3) Remember you do not need to yell into them and make sure all in your party understands that.

4) Do not use them in the restaurants or shows.

5) Remind ALL they are not toys, especially the kids, and are to be used at a minimum. VERY short conversations only.

Despite all this you will still get those that see RED when walkie-talkies are even mentioned. They are a very very very limited minority so, with these rules, use them without worry.

Thanks for all the advise. I knew nothing about the subchannels. I just started looking on ebay today hoping to find a deal. Then realized that I better make sure I know what works and doesn't before bidding on anything and finding out later. So I did a quick post. Didn't even think to search for some reason. I'll do that too. Despite the flamers.

I definitely understand that they could be annoying to other cruisers if some standard rules of courtesy weren't laid out. Truth be told, my main concern is my teenagers not getting back to their room late at night and me not having to scour the ship looking for them if they're not there when I expect them to be. Our last cruise, I was marching through the ship looking for them at 2AM on the last night.

As far as a family pack of 3, how does that work? Thanks again for your suggestions so far.

one word.....POWER....I've owned alot of them....my current set is 5watts....almost unheard of (5watts).....with all the steel on the ships...it does no good if you can't talk.I'm a fond beleiver of NiMh batteries....if you buy regular batteries...you'll burn'em up quick.Every radio I've seen that hold rechargables, will also hold Alkaline batteries...so *if* you're rechargables die,then put in the alkalines briefly....well worth the money to not have to keep buying batteries.I even have headsets for ours...so now we're talking about cutting down on "irritating" people

here's the killer deal right here <http://www.buy.com/prod/Midland_GXT_500VP4_X_Tra_Talk_GMRS_FRS_2_Way_Radio_Value_Pack_with_14/q/loc/111/90145602.html>

We purchased Motorola radios that were supposed to have a 7 mile range. We took them on our Splendour spring break cruise and they worked great if you were on the same side of the ship and within one or two decks of each other. Convenient when in port and when we had a general idea where each other might be on the ship. Highly recommend extra batteries as the kids tend to leave them on accidentally or use the crap out of them when they discover they can scan channels and communicate with other teens on the ship! It's their cruise "Instant Message" device for the week. We leave for a short 5 day on the Splendour in less than two weeks and will take them (radios and kids) again. Enjoy your cruise!

Seems to me that not knowing where your kiddos are at 2:00 am or why they are out and about at 2:00 am anyway, is a bigger problem than what brand of WT's to buy.

We all know when you go on a cruise with your kids, your parental responsibilities get left at the dock. That's why we constantly read about wild teens roaming the ship at all hours of the night.

I'm already wearing my flame retardant suit, because I'm always getting flamed for my opinions. So flame away...I'm ready.

Clarkk, well, they dump them off at school or daycare for someone else to watch so doesn't the same apply on the ship? Dump them off in the kid's program or it's the ship crew's problem to watch them.

If they are out running around at 2:00 am, I don't think they will be carrying WT's.

Archived