Messina - Bell Tower and/or Taormina

lifeasme123

Our group is 9 in total (family members), 3 of whom are children.

Our ship docks from 8am - 6pm. I read on TA and CC about the Bell Tower & the Astronomical Clock at noon time, and interested in that. I also read about Taormina, which I understand most stores close in the afternoon and others on CC recommended seeing it in the morning.

The cruise we will be on in June is part of our 3 1/2 weeks in Europe. So we would have already spent 3 days in Athens and 6 days in Rome before getting on the cruise ship that incldues Messina as a port. My questions are:

1. Is it worth it to try to go to Taormina if we need to get back by noon to see the clock and tower in action? I looked at the bus and train schedules, along with the travel time, and do not see this is doable. However, thought I check with this site.
  2. Is Taormina similar to what we may have seen in Athens and Rome? I know, I know - not every city is like the other.
  3. Anything to do in Messina? Are shopping and/or beaches nearby?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We are a group of 11- ages 8 to 77 last summer. We had 2 18 yo, a 16 yo, and a 12 yo as well.

We did a private tour with Sicily with Mario. We went to Etna (yes, it was a long drive but we really enjoyed it!) and Taormina. I would not miss this town! In fact, we are returning this summer and going back there.