Getting a cab in Juneau to Mendenhall Glacier

mom02

Someone mentioned that the shuttle is $30 per person.  At last report, it's risen to $45.  I think the current prices are highway robbery, especially considering that it was $16 in 2011, it's 10 times the price of the city bus, and it's like 12 miles.  The city of Juneau should start running an express bus that goes closer to the entrance than the current bus line goes.  They could charge something reasonable like $4-5 per ride and make themselves a little profit while making the tourists happy.     

The last two trips to Juneau, we rented a car for the day from Rent-a-Wreck.  They are located not too far from the port.  I waited at the dock while my husband went to get the car.  Last time we ended up with a full size passenger van.  Cost was about $90 for the whole day.  Mendenhall Glacier was an easy drive.  From what I remember, the only thing you had to pay for was if you wanted to view the inside of the building display.  There is a really easy trail to take closer to the glacier where there is an amazing waterfall.

We also went to the Salmon hatchery.  Watching the salmon swimming up the ladder is free.  They do charge a few bucks if you want to take a tour where they explain more things.  They also have a gift shop and display inside.  We really enjoyed driving around Juneau.

One side note, while you can rent a car from the Juneau airport, keep in mind that you'll have to take a cab there (about 10+ miles away), then return the car to the airport and take another cab back to the port.  The vehicles we got from Rent-a-wreck were just fine.  None of the cigarette lighters worked for plugging your cell phone chargers into them.

• 1 month later...

It looks like Uber and Lyft are in Juneau and their websites estimate $25-30 one way from pier to visitor's center. Sounds cheaper and more flexible than the shuttle or taxis! Does anyone have experience using Uber or Lyft in Juneau? Are there enough drivers that the wait time is reasonable?