Son just diagnosed diabetic.

Hi, my daughter also uses the Medtronic pump, which the previous poster was right, they have great technology, making FDA approvals on their artificial pancreas. And they have Fabulous customer service. My dtr was away in Ohio in a summer camp, I was home in Virginia, and her pump malfunctioned !!! YIKES, but not so bad Medtronic air flighted a pump to her. But I will say, She has been a counselor for the last 3 summers at a diabetes camp, helping younger,newly diagnosed kids and she has taken a real liking to the omnipod waterproof, tubeless system. It is a tough / expensive decision, take your time, look at all of them , sales reps will come to your house or meet you at the Endo. office. You will be able to make an informed decision, don't worry. And it may change as your child gets older and into more things. I hope you have a great June cruise !!! and by the way, we have plenty of family in PA, so Go Steelers !! Oh and Carnival is good about having Sugar Free desserts in the buffet area, I can't really speak to the taste ...my dtr. usually opts for a few bites of honest to goodness dessert vs. a full size "sugar free" . The only other random advice and I do not know if other new T1D's have had issues with this, but my dtr is super sun sensitive ever since her diagnosis. So Get the rub on cream sunscreen and skip the spray , just in case you all have the same issues. She has actually started to buy surfer rash guard clothing just to decrease her exposure. So especially in June when you go....pack the good sunscreen. Have a great Summer Vacay !!

Yes go Steelers! I need to look into some summer diabetic camps for him. He is not the outdoorsy type of kid. He loves his computer games a little too much. We will have to look at the sugar free desserts for him. He is not much of a sweet guy which is great. Doesn't care for pasta too much. He loves his chocolate shakes at the coffee/shake spot. As far as sun exposure-he has not had any issues yet. I am worried that he will be by himself on the ship(which he normally was at 15 years old) and he gets a shake or some food and he isn't prepared with insulin. We are still waiting to see what pump and so I think we will still have the insulin pens on the cruise. Trying to figure out a game plan.

My daughter is type 1 and on a pump. We had no issues on our cruise last year.

Do take ziplock baggies to store glucometer and pump(when disconnected) the salt water can really damage them. Our glucometer stopped working the day after we got back last year! We will be traveling with a spare this summer.

We also take back up supplies in case of a pump failure so we can convert back to using pens.

She disconnects from her pump while snorkeling and brings lots of snacks. All the exercise can cause low blood sugars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! does your daughter have a fanny pack of some sort to carry everything? My son is 15 and so I don't think the "fanny" pack thing is going to work. He will be with us from time to time but I worry the times he is not. I want him to have fun and to be prepared in case he wanted a snack or burger that is not near the room. He is not on the pump yet and I not sure if he will have in time for the cruise. So I think it will be the pens still.

Diabetes is rampant in my family - my children are the only branch of the family in which at least one of the cousins isn't diabetic so we are very used to relatives dealing with diabetes on vacation.

My cousin has 2 diabetic children and has been on 5 or 6 CCL cruises with them, all of which have gone extremely well. Special Needs was always so helpful in getting her everything they needed, and she felt comfortable leaving the children in the kids camps because the staff was so responsive. I know that she always brought lots of packaged snacks with her that she could easily take with her whenever they were in ports, and that she was more apt to choose the shorter excursions (or the resort for a day guest pass options) because exertion in the hot sun really messed up her older daughter's counts and she did much better if she was near food and water sources, and could get into the shade easily.

And I second the recommendation about a camp. My niece was really resistant at first, but she finally agreed to go to Camp Joslin (we are in MA) for a session and ended up doing an additional session, and going back every summer. I noticed a major shift in her attitude toward her diabetes after she came back from that camp. Even though she had a sibling and cousins that were also diabetic, none of her friends were and she felt very alone and isolated by her diagnosis. The camp helped tremendously with that, and I know she is still friends on FB and Instagram with many of the kids she met at that camp and they have been a great support for each other.

Thanks for the response. It does make me feel better to hear others turned out well and that their cruise went great. I contacted special needs already for him. We will be on the Vista and I know there are great outdoor activities on that ship that he will like. He will need to be prepared. I am going to check into the camp again for him. Hopefully he will come around.

She carries a purse with her. Maybe he could use a small sling shoulder back pack. He will need something like this anyway for keeping his supplies together. It's a lazy way to have something to throw his cell phone, tablet and other things into.

She carries a purse with her. Maybe he could use a small sling shoulder back pack. He will need something like this anyway for keeping his supplies together. It's a lazy way to have something to throw his cell phone, tablet and other things into.

My cousin's son carries his diabetic supplies/water/snacks in one of those Nike string-type "Gym Sack" bags - which is what my boys bring to keep their stuff together at sports practices, etc. I don't think either of mine would wear a fanny pack if their life depended on it - but if he had one of those gym sacks a ton of other boys his age would be carrying them around too and it would probably make him more accepting of having to carry a bag.

Hey, there! Another T1D mom here. My daughter was diagnosed 3 years ago at the age of 10. You will quickly become a pro at counting carbs. One of the books mentioned will definitely help. He will probably need less insulin due to all the walking and stairs. Have you looked into a Dexcom? It's a continuous glucose monitoring device. Check out their website. It would definitely give you piece of mind during the cruise. Also, check out the "beyond type 1" app. It's a social media app for parents and people with type one. My daughter is on the OmniPod pump. She loves that it is tubeless. You all will be fine on the cruise! Enjoy!

Hey, there! Another T1D mom here. My daughter was diagnosed 3 years ago at the age of 10. You will quickly become a pro at counting carbs. One of the books mentioned will definitely help. He will probably need less insulin due to all the walking and stairs. Have you looked into a Dexcom? It's a continuous glucose monitoring device. Check out their website. It would definitely give you piece of mind during the cruise. Also, check out the "beyond type 1" app. It's a social media app for parents and people with type one. My daughter is on the OmniPod pump. She loves that it is tubeless. You all will be fine on the cruise! Enjoy!

We use the Dexcom as well. Great technology to help close the loop.

BTW, speaking of desserts, I googled the carb count on the chocolate melting cake. 35 carbs, which is about what I remembered the chef personally telling my kiddo. Not that much!

I know, it's not best to scarf down simple sugars and just chase it with insulin, but I think the temptation is often deny, deny, deny which makes the diabetic (especially kiddos) feel like they can't live a normal life. This is a self-imposed prison sentence that I believe can be counter productive. They should be aware of their condition, and be reasonable with their diet. That will get them 95% of the way there, with minimal frustration. Okay, enough of my lecturing!

As a nurse....I just want to say that the amount of support, kindness and love shown on this thread brings tears to my eyes.

So nice to see a community lifting people up instead of tearing them down.

You have received wonderful advice and I'm sure you will both settle into a routine shortly. You've doing great momma bear. 💖

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

What I would strongly suggest doing is getting an idea of the carbs for certain items - Find lists of things that he can eat without worry - You don't need to cancel you just need to prepare yourself educationally prior to going

My cousin's son carries his diabetic supplies/water/snacks in one of those Nike string-type "Gym Sack" bags - which is what my boys bring to keep their stuff together at sports practices, etc. I don't think either of mine would wear a fanny pack if their life depended on it - but if he had one of those gym sacks a ton of other boys his age would be carrying them around too and it would probably make him more accepting of having to carry a bag.

That's a great idea. I just hope he uses it! I going to have him pick out something. thanks.

Thanks! We are awaiting to see what our insurance approves at this point. I think he liked the Omnipod because it was tubeless. However, the Medtronic has the latest technology and it also has the continuous monitoring. I will check out the app "beyond type 1"

We use the Dexcom as well. Great technology to help close the loop.

BTW, speaking of desserts, I googled the carb count on the chocolate melting cake. 35 carbs, which is about what I remembered the chef personally telling my kiddo. Not that much!

I know, it's not best to scarf down simple sugars and just chase it with insulin, but I think the temptation is often deny, deny, deny which makes the diabetic (especially kiddos) feel like they can't live a normal life. This is a self-imposed prison sentence that I believe can be counter productive. They should be aware of their condition, and be reasonable with their diet. That will get them 95% of the way there, with minimal frustration. Okay, enough of my lecturing!

Thank you! LOL He is not much of a sweet kind of kid but he does like the chocolate shakes they make at the coffee stop. So I will have to figure out beforehand what the carb count will be for that item.

As a nurse....I just want to say that the amount of support, kindness and love shown on this thread brings tears to my eyes.

So nice to see a community lifting people up instead of tearing them down.

You have received wonderful advice and I'm sure you will both settle into a routine shortly. You've doing great momma bear. 💖

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

Thanks! I really appreciate the help..any help. It is so scary when you think about it. I want to be well prepared so he can enjoy his cruise and his life. I know it is tough. We went to dinner last week and it was horrible. The food he wanted on the menu was not listed and so we basically tried to get close. He brokedown. I wish I could take it from him and give it to me. :loudcry:

What I would strongly suggest doing is getting an idea of the carbs for certain items - Find lists of things that he can eat without worry - You don't need to cancel you just need to prepare yourself educationally prior to going

Great idea! He is very basic. I will probably have a problem with the portion size on the items that are in question. For example-he is not much of a sweet kind of kid but he does like the milkshakes at the coffee bar. I figured he can have that. He also likes Guys burgers too. I wish Carnival had a carb count for each item.