Altun Ha and Cave Tubing

Cricket551

I did run down the first couple of pages and did not see this answer, so sorry if it has been asked before!

We are going on Carnival Magic April 2018, port time is 8am to 5 pm. I have in the past done mostly ship excursions. This trip we (hubby and I) are taking our 3 kids 16, 21, &25. and one of there spouses. So there will be a total of 6 of us, I've started doing a little research for cheaper options. I found shoreexcurioneer tour Belize Altun HA Mayan ruins, cave tubing and sightseeing excursion. This sounds Perfect! As some in our group want to see ruins and others want to cave tub! But I worry about time and making it back to the ship! The excursion is listed at being 6 hours. I did read the reviews on there site (only 9) and what was there was all good!

So I guess my questions are.. has anyone on here done this excursion? How did time work out? Was it enjoyable or did you just worry about making it back to the ship? Idk any advice on this would be great!

To be honest if carnival offered a trip with both ruins and tubing I would book that and be done with it!

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to offer any advice!

Haven't done this specific excursion, but have been to Altun Ha and have done cavetubing, both with independent providers. Time wise it is possible to do both. Altun Ha is about 50 minutes away from port and it's probably about an hour from Altun Ha back and then out to the cave tubing site. Then an hour back to port. YOu can "cruise" through Altun Ha in under an hour with a small group. Cave-tubing takes at least an hour and a half. Leaves little time to grab a bite to eat, though.

As you will need to be back around 4PM-4:30P ship time (2-2:30P Belize) to catch the last tender, That means you need to be meeting up with your guide around 9A-9:30A ship time (7-7:30A Belize).. Easily doable on your part, But if the excursion guide is waiting on others there could be a hold-up.

Alternatively, consider just cave-tubing in Belize and then book with Native Choice in Costa Maya for either their Chacchoben Classic Excurison (4 hours) or their Chacchoben Maya Experience tour (5.5 hours).

Thank you for the reply! I have been looking into doing ruins in another port! I will check out the options you mentioned!! Overall I'm trying to save a little money, but still do amazing things for the kids first cruise! :)

I hear you on the wallet/pursestrings talking.

Here's some possible ways to make the ports varied and interesting with out spending a fortune at each one. In Cozumel, head to Paradise Beach via taxi and do their PAYGO. Perhaps the children can spring for their own $18 if they want to use the water activities and extra things. In Belize, Cave tubing with a private vendor--look up Caveturibng R us and cavetubing .bz as well as shoreexcursioner. There are others with reviews on this board. In Costa Maya do Native Choice. In Roatan, make it an inexpensive day by just hanging at Mahogany Bay's beach. Not the West Bay fab beaches, but a lot less expensive.

In the main along with your family pick a port or two ports where you'd be willing to pop a few $$ for something the entire groups would like to do. Then make the other ports ont he less expensive side but still an adventure. Fun to plan and you've got plenty of time.

Thank you for the information!! We do plan to do either Xel-Ha or VIP Exclusive Tulum & centote swim in Cozumel, this will be pretty pricy for 6 people!

In Roatan I have already booked with Victor Bodden tours for a private driver and van for the day to take us to West Bay beach. But this was not to bad at 25$ per person!

I was considering either YaYa beach or Barefoot beach in Costa Maya, or even Chacchoben Mayan ruins & beach combo, but I will check out your suggestion!

Belize is the one I'm trying to figure out, I know some want to cave tube and some want to see ruins, that's why I liked the idea of combining the two! Or maybe we could cave tube in Belize and see some ruins in Costa Maya?

With the cost of the Cozumel excursion (We are leaning towards Xel-Ha, or I would count Tulum as the ruins visit) I would prefer to go a little cheaper in the other ports!

Thank you for your advice and any information you can give!!