Belize pharmacy

babyher

...And finally, buyer beware. You have to be an alert consumer. Yes assure that it's in a sealed container, yes check the expiration date, maybe don't buy it from a total 3rd world country. But personally, if I had to have it, can't afford it any other way, then any med is better than no med.

This might appropriately describe Belize.

Certainly where you get your drugs from is a personal decision to be made with lots of information considered (hopefully!) But regardless of the quality of the drug (and I do understand the issues there) is what you are planning to do legal? Not because I'm a fanatical law abiding citizen, but because I just think it would SUCK to be nailed by customs coming back into the country with drugs you obtained illegally. That's something worthy of a little research if you are going to do it. You never know what they look for when they search luggage. But at least get yourself aware of the potential consequences of your actions...

This might appropriately describe Belize.

Certainly where you get your drugs from is a personal decision to be made with lots of information considered (hopefully!) But regardless of the quality of the drug (and I do understand the issues there) is what you are planning to do legal? Not because I'm a fanatical law abiding citizen, but because I just think it would SUCK to be nailed by customs coming back into the country with drugs you obtained illegally. That's something worthy of a little research if you are going to do it. You never know what they look for when they search luggage. But at least get yourself aware of the potential consequences of your actions...

My bad, I've never been so I didn't know where it fell in the scope of things. Thanks for the clarification.

And agreed, this is why I didn't touch on the legality comments. If it is illegal (I'm no expert and don't know) then the whole arguement is a mute point. :D

A..

My bad, I've never been so I didn't know where it fell in the scope of things. Thanks for the clarification.

And agreed, this is why I didn't touch on the legality comments. If it is illegal (I'm no expert and don't know) then the whole arguement is a mute point. :D

A..

Not a problem! :) Belize is beautiful, but the way things get done there is very different from ours and the economics are, too.

I just know this issue is getting a little bit heated and the thing (objectively) that would be a problem no matter what someone's personal preference is, would be the legality. I haven't ever done the prescription from another country thing so I have not fully researched it but if I was going to do it, I definitely would be looking up something online! And it would have to be a governmental resource, too. I wouldn't want to risk anything on a private site's information without verifying everything. Just a thought! ;)

I definitely would be looking up something online! And it would have to be a governmental resource, too. I wouldn't want to risk anything on a private site's information without verifying everything. Just a thought! ;)

To give you an idea about this type of business, couple of years ago at a wedding, a guy finds out I'm in the business. Ask's me if I would be interested in setting up an off shore pharmacy, where we could buy drugs cheap, no rx needed and send them back into the USA, and make a financial killing. He said this was the fastest growing internet business at the time and was looking for somebody to give him some knowledge on how to operate. He said licenses would be no problem, he had that covered (wink). At this point I got out of the conversation. I'm not calloused about peoples health and don't want to earn money that way. So when I preach a little caution about this type of activity, I have an idea what I'm talking about. Oh and the comment from another poster about some drug is better than no drug....... Oh, I can tell you that may not be such a good idea either. I have heard about many an admission for poisoning/ overdose because what they thought they took was not what they took. Careful with medication. It can kill you.

The good news is that most Americans are savy enough to see the b.s. from the truth and make their own choice. Freedom of choice should not be legislated in light of the skyrocketing health care costs we are facing in this country. We should be legislating regulated medical costs instead of restricting our citizens freedom of choice to buy lower price drugs from outside our borders. It's my life and if I want to risk a non-FDA approved drug then that should be my choice. I actually wonder what the statistics are on people that have died from purchasing prescription drugs for health related issues from beyond our borders??? Neither the Government nor the medical industry seem to publish this. I wonder why?

I actually wonder what the statistics are on people that have died from purchasing prescription drugs for health related issues from beyond our borders??? Neither the Government nor the medical industry seem to publish this. I wonder why?

I would like to know that myself. Many posters do not realize these laws and regulations are to protect the public from harmful actions and unscrupulous people. Look up the history of Thalidomide, and you will see why this protection is necessary. Guess where that drug came from when it wasn't approved in the United States?................. Our neighbor to the north.

Now, if you want to risk your life taking non approved drugs, that is certainly your choice. Unfortunately, the debris field is often cleaned up by the loved ones left behind.

• 2 weeks later...

OH and yes I too am an American, our line has been here for over 350 year. And this "we're the best/only ones that are right attitude" that is prevalent now really embarrases me.

*holding up target* blast away....

A..

I feel the same way, and have several Mayflower passengers in my direct ancestry, so I think that makes me a pretty deep-rooted American, not to mention that I majored in Political Science in college - so I'm confident that I'm qualified enough to say when things aren't quite right here, which they aren't when it comes to keeping America's citizens healthy regardless of income. Sometimes people don't have the luxury of choice in where they get their medications from - it's either get it where you can or suffer (or worse). I know firsthand, as years ago I was very ill and could not afford the medicine that ended up saving me (my family went above and beyond). *holding up target*

• 11 months later...
I am so glad I saw your message, can I please have the email address. The pharmacy in Belize gave me their business card with the info. and I can not find it. Regardless to what is Legal or not Legal. I am a small business owner, with basic health insurance and NO prescription plan. Needless to say I stocked up... On Penicillin, Amoxicillin, and more improtantly Albuterol. I'll take the chance! Thank You.
I too lost the imformation on the Pharmacy, if you get it could you please e mail me and let me know. Magicalrx@cox.net

I am so glad I saw your message, can I please have the email address. The pharmacy in Belize gave me their business card with the info. and I can not find it. Regardless to what is Legal or not Legal. I am a small business owner, with basic health insurance and NO prescription plan. Needless to say I stocked up... On Penicillin, Amoxicillin, and more improtantly Albuterol. I'll take the chance! Thank You.

I too need the information, if you get it please e mail me. magicalrx@cox.net

Did you know that 90% of U.S. approved drugs are manufactered outside of the US? Sometimes they are mfg'd in these very third world countries! As far as getting counterfeit drugs, it happens...here in the US and I am sure it happens elsewhere.

Oft times I have offset the initial cost of my cruise by $300 +! I got a vacation and prescriptions too! I am far from the only one that has done this.

Would I like to go to CVS and receive reasonably priced prescription drugs...you bet I would! But, I do not have a prescription drug plan!! It is easy to sit back and pontify, but walk a mile in others shoes.

I recently heard that 40,000 prescriptions were confiscated by the US mail on the news, and that so many people were irate from this that is is approved to mail 3 months worth of Rx to the USA. Don't know if Belize is included in this ruling. Hurray for this new rule. I have picked up my RX there in Belize and will save $1600 this next year over the USA prices. This includes my $500 price on the NCL dream in Jan 2007 to get there. I don't have any med insurance since I got layed off. Thank you Belize for providing the Rx i need cheaper than Canada.:o

We stopped by the pharmacy during a recent cruise stop in Belize. I bought a couple Z packs (antibiotics) to have on hand and a couple tubes of an arthritis gel for my mom. I read about it on CC. It is called Fenagel. Is it available in other countries and does anyone know why it isnt on the market in the US?

Last summer one of the TV expose shows, I'm pretty sure it was Dateline NBC, did a very informative show on just this topic. Grey market drugs were making their way into very reputable pharmacies. They were packaged and bar coded using legitimate numbers copied from original product. The packaging was so good it fooled major chains like Walgreens, because they don't always buy directly from the manufacturer, and once the wholesaler became involved...the direct delivery chain was broken. It was a very scary show. Apparently they're working on, or now have, a scanning system the retailer can use to verify the product code and ensure it was not duplicated, but it would be at the retailers expense. They also revealed what was in some of the grey market drugs...and that was even scarier...they used chalk and the powder used to colour road paint to match the yellow used in some popular drug...the name excapes me...but the blue was used in making *****. They showed the pills..the stampings were identical..such that even the manufacturer had to look very closely to tell the difference.

Px medication is expensive, but I would never risk my families, or my, health just to save a few bucks. Currently I spend on the average between $300 - $500 a month on my sons' and my medications, and my hubby is undergoing some tests, which if confirmed the medications for treatment are astronomical. I am fortunate that I live in Canada where our medications cost less, and that I have great medical insurance so my layout of cash is considerably less...but I would still only buy from a reputable local pharmacy...because, if necessary, the origin has a better chance of being traced. When it comes to my families health....yeah I could probably take more vactions with the money I'd save buying drugs in a third world country...but could I sleep at night knowing I may have risked my sons' or my husbands' health just to go on vacation....the answer my friend is no.

Okay I'll get off my soapbox now and give someone else a turn!

• 2 years later...

I am looking for any information on the same pharmacy!! If anyone can help me with the information, I would be GREATLY appreciated. She is the only American women in the pharmacy. She use to be a pharmacist in Walmart. PLEASE. If anyone has any contact info. contact me@

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I know "the American pharmacist from Louisiana" personally and she DOES NOT SHIP medications. She has been receiving phone calls recently regarding shipments that she did not make. Apparently someone is using her identity and shipping from Pakistan. Do not send money to this person or persons. Since I read these boards daily she asked me to remind people that it is ILLEGAL to ship prescribed medications to the U.S. Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Last thought. To those who have a problem with the high price of drugs in the US, take it up with the manufacturers, they are the problem. In a free market they can and do charge whatever they fell they can get away with.

Now, I'm off my soapbox.

I know this is an old thread, but I saw this and have to comment. This is not true. Yes, it is the manufacturers fault that there may not be a generic form for many years. However, a manufacturer sells it to a drug wholesaler for, in most cases, much lower than the AWP (average wholesale price).The wholesaler will then sell it to the pharmacies, hospitals, etc. at contract prices much lower than the price that the wholesaler purchased it for. These prices are negotiated between the manufacturer and the 'buying group' for the various contracts. When the sale is completed, the wholesaler then submits a chargeback for the difference, which the manufacturer gives back to the wholesaler. My source for this knowledge is 11 years working for a pharmaceutical company and dealing with the finance aspect of the company. I know what we pay for materials to make our products, I see what is billed to our customers and I see what we pay out in chargebacks.

Now, granted there is some profit made, however it is not as much as some people would think. Perfect example, we make a liquid generic loratab that we sell to a certian wholesaler who sales to a certian 'national chain' pharmacy. It costs us estimated 3.50 to make a 32oz bottle. We sell that bottle to the certian wholesaler for 32.00 for the 32oz bottle. The wholesaler then sales to this pharmacy, per the contract for 5.59 for the 32oz bottle. The wholesaler then submits a chargeback to us for 26.41 per 32oz bottle sold to this pharmacy, which we pay.

Now, I used this particular product, because I recently had to get a prescription for this for my daughter when her tonsils came out. My price for a 16oz bottle of this product, after my insurance paid all but my copay...10.00. So the pharmaceutical company made 2.09 per 32oz, while the pharmacy made 8.82 + for the same 32oz.

Funny, while we were standing in line for our excursion in Belize the girl there tryed to convice me to buy ****** with them.. I just laughed and said no thanks i dont need any. there is no way I would pop any pills from Belize, i dont care if they are almost free. Who knows what you are actually taking. Anyways here in Canada my work has a health plan and I pay $0 for my prescriptions

Archived