OTD shoe holder

AmandaNS

For those who take over-the-door shoe holders to store "stuff" in their room, do you take the holders folded flat, or do you pre-pack them so they're ready to hang when you arrive? It seems like pre-packing would be the simplest and fastest, but I was wondering about the space it takes up in the bag vs. setup time. I don't think our suitcases are going to be jammed full, so we might have the room in our bags.

Any thoughts / experiences??

Hi, I always take an over the door shoe hanger. I pack it flat and hang when we get there. Sometimes I use it for shoes if we are our entire family of four, and other times I use it for additional storage, ex.. suntan lotion etc.. I also bring a surge protector to plug our many electrical items into in one location. Also, a suction tooth brush holder if the four of us are going. Its a great way to hold tooth brushes and tooth paste.

I always pack ours flat, in the bottom of the suitcase. We put it on the outside of the cabin door, to hold sunglasses, hairbrushes, loose papers, seapass cards (never lose them that way!). Sometimes even shoes!

If you're packing yours to go in the bathroom (toiletries) you may find that you really don't need it for that purpose. The bathrooms, while tiny, usually have plenty of storage space. Also, the bathroom doors generally have a hook on the inside, hanging a shoe holder there could be difficult. So, if you are planning to use it for toiletries, I'd not really recommend you pack it in advance, it would probably take up more room in your luggage that way.

I go a step further and pack an accordion style shoe holder as well, similar to the one that looks like a shelf, for the closet (for shoes!):

p2062320_group_reg.jpg

It packs flat as a pancake and kind of helps to even out the bottom of the suitcase, where you have those grooves from the tube (rolling luggage). I prefer a well organized cabin, as I'm actually a bit scatter brained on vacation and need all the help I can when getting ready to get out the door. I unpack, organize and have no worries the rest of the week:) .

Thanks for the replies. I thought that it would be easier to take it and put it together there, but I wasn't sure. Our plan is to use it on the outside of the bathroom door for sunglasses, sunscreen, etc... the stuff that usually clutters up the desk or table... and we have a second one for actual shoes.

I bought one for our Jewel trip that we just got back from a week ago. While a great idea, it just didn't "work" for us-we had plenty of room in the bathroom cabinet and shelf, and hubby gave up his top drawer for everything else...put his socks and underware in the drawer in the bedside table...

Just my humble opinion...

use it when our family of four are cruising but we wont use it with just me and dh. it worked great and we packed it flat and filled when we got there. we always pack our suntan lotion etc.. in plastic bags for the flight in case of a mishap with the pressure of the cabin on the plane. Therefore we would not pre-pack.

Archived