Trip Report - Hawaiian Adventure from Vancouver

Wandering_star

Disembarkation:

So sad to leave! I even joked that my husband should just go home, get the Mo and we could all live in a tender to go up to Alaska!

We were up early for a final buffet breakfast before triple checking our stateroom for any left behind items before heading over to the elite lounge while we waited to disembark. Camped out in a corner and was quickly surrounded about a large group with lots of loud children (were they all platinums/elites? Methinks not), we just hunkered down til our number was called.

Disembarkation seemed to be running on time, so close to our designated time we packed up and were off without a problem.

Immigration was a breeze. Be honest on your forms and don’t forget to declare those macadamia nuts I know you bought!

Found our luggage and then the traffic jam started. Not only was it a dreaded three ship day in Vancouver, it was the first three ship day of the season. Chaos! Patience, ability to handle your own luggage and a game plan if you lose your travelling companion is the only sane way to approach a three ship day in Vancouver.

We met up with my in-laws and jumped on the Skytrain for the exhausting 40 minute journey home. We walked in the door less that one hour after leaving the ship.

We surprised the Mo, who at first was not happy with us, but happy to see us and started to dream about cruising again.

Thanks for the awesome trip report. We did this cruise from LA a number of years back and loved it! Question for you...how were the seas on the first couple of days leaving Vancouver? We were really rocking and rolling out of LA so much that some people were talking about leaving in Hawaii and flying back. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this review. My wife and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary next May with this cruise in April. It'll be our first cruise and although people have warned us against a first cruise with so many sea days, those are the days we're most looking forward to. We're also travelling with friends. For 3 of the ports we're doing our own thing and in Honolulu we're going to do the ship excursion for the luau. The ship arrives in port at 7 am and the excursion departs at noon. Is there much to do in Honolulu before noon? Or should we just have a late breakfast and take it easy on the ship? When I look at the area in Google Maps it kind of reminds me of downtown Vancouver, around Burrard station with lots of office buildings.

Happy Anniversary! I'm sure you will not be alone in celebrating! There were numerous anniversaries and birthdays being celebrated on our cruise (my husband was one of them!) Be sure to make a note in your cruise personalizer that you are celebrating an anniversary - you will receive a card to take to the main dining room on a night of your choosing to receive a special and delicious chocolate dessert.

The immediate port area is in a downtown area - there isn't much you could easily walk to in terms of a tourist attraction. However, there were shuttles going to a downtown Walmart (you'll see it if you look on Google maps, there are other shops and restaurants in the area as well) as well as Hilo Hatties - I don't know if this is the Hilo Hatties that is located in the Ala Moana shopping center, but it may be worth the ask. Depending on what you want to do, you may want to grab a cab to the shopping center, or to the beach - but be wary of the traffic.

As an aside, there were a number of first time cruisers on our ship and we did think to ourselves that it's a risky move booking a 15 night cruise, with 10 sea days as your first cruise. If possible, maybe look at one of the shorter cruises, (there are a bunch on the either coast) just so you have a feel of Princess has to offer and try out your sea legs. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!

Thanks for the awesome trip report. We did this cruise from LA a number of years back and loved it! Question for you...how were the seas on the first couple of days leaving Vancouver? We were really rocking and rolling out of LA so much that some people were talking about leaving in Hawaii and flying back. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was rough - rough enough that seasick bags magically appeared hanging from the garbage cans by the elevators. It didn't bother us very much, but we did pop the occasional gravol in the first couple of days and in the last couple of days before returning to Vancouver.

It was rough - rough enough that seasick bags magically appeared hanging from the garbage cans by the elevators. It didn't bother us very much, but we did pop the occasional gravol in the first couple of days and in the last couple of days before returning to Vancouver.

Great write up. Being also from Vancouver, its a cruise my mom and I have considered but been too chicken to do it, because of the fear of the rough seas. How was the Sea Days crossing the Pacific? I take it it was kinda rough if you had to pop gravol for the few first days? and after? were seasick bags always hanging around and was the ship rolling? I am prone to seasickness, and don't really like the idea of popping pills for an extended amount of time ;p.

Btw, I am also a Dr. Who fan! Woooot!