Another Sydney Car Hire Question....

When we get off the ship at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, we'd like to hire a car. We'll make arrangements ahead of time, but I'm trying to figure out the best location to rent from. I've been on the website for Vroom. I'm not sure how it works there, though. Do the car places have shuttles at the terminal to take passengers to their office to pick up the car, like in other ports?

Thanks!

I doubt that the rental car agencies would do pick-ups at the Overseas Passenger Terminal. There just isn't the space for them to wait.

Unless you're planning on travelling outside of the greater Sydney area, or are planning on staying somewhere outside of the city, then a car will be a hassle. Getting around Sydney itself is reasonably good on public transport. Even going up to the Blue Mountains is easier by train.

In March we finished a cruise at the OPT and wanted to rent a car. We explored all kinds of options but ultimately it came down to the only one that would work - Avis at the marriot. It was an easy walk - even with luggage and a disability. You literally walk in a straight line cross the road and it is two buildings up.

The next closest I think is Hertz and they don't run a shuttle - and it is a taxi ride of about $20+ to get there.

The other option is the train - the station is only about 200m from OPT and you could head to the airport and pick up from there.

In March we finished a cruise at the OPT and wanted to rent a car. We explored all kinds of options but ultimately it came down to the only one that would work - Avis at the marriot. It was an easy walk - even with luggage and a disability. You literally walk in a straight line cross the road and it is two buildings up.

The next closest I think is Hertz and they don't run a shuttle - and it is a taxi ride of about $20+ to get there.

The other option is the train - the station is only about 200m from OPT and you could head to the airport and pick up from there.

It's only about a half hour walk to the Hertz depot (and all the other rental agencies for that matter e.g. Europcar, Thrifty, National, plus others); I'd do that over going to the airport which would take a similar time, plus the walking time, and extra cost due to the airport (unless you were say heading south and it made the exit road more convenient e.g. M5)

We'll have to look into Avis. We'll be driving to the Blue Mountains for a couple of days. We would consider the train, but I like the option of being able to stop along the way, and have a car to get around in once we arrive on Katoomba (where we're staying).

Thanks do much for the ideas! I feel like such a novice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Now that I've said that... how would we go about getting info on the train? That actually could be an option.

http://www.sydneytrains.info/

The train leaves from Central Station. It takes around 2 hours to get to Katoomba and is a very pretty journey as the train travels up into the mountains. There is a HoHo bus that covers all the key tourist spots in Katoomba and Leura, or you could rent a car in Katoomba if you want to expore further afield than the HoHo bus route.