Royal Princess May 17-27

1spacecowboy

My family of three have just returned from a ten day cruise aboard the Royal Princess, starting in Rome and ending in Barcelona.

Upon arriving at the port around 11:30 a.m., we quickly went through security, preferred check in for platinum cruisers, and before I could get a second pastry, we walking up the gang plank.

We had a deluxe balcony in the stern of the ship on the Baja level. The room was nice and clean and our friendly room steward Joel kept it that for the entire cruise. The balcony was partially covered and one of the larger ones I've seen, and as reported by others , there was a slight soot issue on some mornings, one chunk was as big as the head on a pin.

Now on to what counts, food, loved the buffet for breakfast and lunch, there was always seating available, service was prompt and efficient. The meals in the MDR were good, but there seemed to be a little repetition on certain items, like pork chops showed up 2 maybe 3 times during the cruise. Service in the MDR was hit and miss, some nights it was fast and attentive and other nights we were left waiting a long time between courses, so much so that our server apologized for the delay. The table next to us threw us for a loop, they had chips guacamole, and pico de gallo brought to the table on the first formal night.

As this was a very port intensive cruise, with very early excursions, we didn't partake in any entertainment on the ship, other than listen to band play in the piazza, which was very good.

To sum it up, the cruise 1 1/2 years in making was great, so much so we would do it again if we found another 10 day cruise in Europe.