Icelandair carry-ons

bevandroger

We are flying to Reykjavik Monday June 12th for the Iceland pre-extension of the Into the Midnight Sun cruise from Bergen. I am afraid that my carry-on will not fit the mandated 7.8" width (other dimensions are OK). Did anyone else have this problem? Bev

We are flying to Reykjavik Monday June 12th for the Iceland pre-extension of the Into the Midnight Sun cruise from Bergen. I am afraid that my carry-on will not fit the mandated 7.8" width (other dimensions are OK). Did anyone else have this problem? Bev

I'm following this post! I'm concerned about this too since they only allow small carry-ons! I read that they will randomly weigh carry-on bags as well!

We just returned this week from our Homelands cruise and our friends using Icelandair found their carryon had to strictly fit the requirements or the bag must be checked and you are given a little plastic bag for essentials. Glad you are checking into this before flying as my friend did not and had an uncomfortable flight due to her lack of carry on. Deborah

Icelandair uses planes with really small overheads on the inside but regular size on the outside. Worse yet they tie up 6 rows or more of the larger overheads with their gear. Both ways I had to walk back 6 rows upon arrival to retrieve my carry on.

Note that changing planes in Iceland you must find & go thru passport control before your departure gate. Nobody including the Info desk tells you this. We almost missed our arrival at the ship flight but thankfully someone let us go to the head of a HUGE line. Returning home we had to wait to find out where our flight departed. No gate posted until 50 minutes before. Again a big line for passports which fortunately did move quickly. Went to our gate. Almost sat down but I peeked inside the gate door and there was a stairwell and corridor full of folks already waiting to board. Flight left late anyway.

Another Iceland quirk, do not sit in the few chairs where your gate is labeled. Instead find the boarding door, go thru and you'll find a huge line standing to board.

Quirks are fine but when you don't expect them and there's no signage, you can get screwed up.

Icelandair uses planes with really small overheads on the inside but regular size on the outside. Worse yet they tie up 6 rows or more of the larger overheads with their gear. Both ways I had to walk back 6 rows upon arrival to retrieve my carry on.

Note that changing planes in Iceland you must find & go thru passport control before your departure gate. Nobody including the Info desk tells you this. We almost missed our arrival at the ship flight but thankfully someone let us go to the head of a HUGE line. Returning home we had to wait to find out where our flight departed. No gate posted until 50 minutes before. Again a big line for passports which fortunately did move quickly. Went to our gate. Almost sat down but I peeked inside the gate door and there was a stairwell and corridor full of folks already waiting to board. Flight left late anyway.

Another Iceland quirk, do not sit in the few chairs where your gate is labeled. Instead find the boarding door, go thru and you'll find a huge line standing to board.

Quirks are fine but when you don't expect them and there's no signage, you can get screwed up.

I'm not excited about flying Icelandair! You've helped explain the rigid carry-on rules! I read that the sears were uncomfortable and if you want any food, you have to pay for it! Did you do the Iceland excursion or hear anything others said about it?

I'm not excited about flying Icelandair! You've helped explain the rigid carry-on rules! I read that the sears were uncomfortable and if you want any food, you have to pay for it! Did you do the Iceland excursion or hear anything others said about it?

"Seats"--not sears!

Forgot to mention that even my small wife found the seats small. Uncomfortable. You buy ANY food via credit card only. soft drinks, coffee, juice are free. I could fly them again but wife would not be happy.

Did not do Iceland excursion. I'd love to see Iceland but my endurance for touring and eating & drinking to excess maxes out at 2 weeks. I'm one of those guys like dogs where if there's food I'll eat it. No willpower when traveling. Fine at home. Glad to be back to the gym today.

Thanks for the info.

We leave in 29 days but who's counting!