Anchorage to Whittier

newmilford

Cruisetours seem to waste too much time traveling from point to point. Thinking of flying into Anchorage for 1-2 nites then train to Whittier and spend 2nites prior to southbound Princess cruise to Vancouver.

Realize not doing the "Denali" thing but ...

Did RT last year on Celebrity from Vancouver but want to do Glacier Bay and Skagway. Will revisit Juneau and Ketchikan but will do different excursions.

So is a 4 nite visit to Anchorage/Whittier a viable DIY precruise trip ???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With 4 nites you could visit Denali !

But yes, 4 nites will allow you time to get around for some sightseeing.

The easiest option would be to explore the Turnagain Arm, the area just south of Anchorage. You could even add on an overnight to Seward which is about 2 hrs beyond Alyeska. Or explore the turnagain Arm then go to Whittier for a day cruise of Prince William Sound.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

Or go to Matanuska Glacier for an ice trek or white water rafting, then visit Independence Mine.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

Depends on what you want to see and do, and how much driving you want to do.

This chart of drive times is pretty accurate:, but it is strictly drive times. It doesn't account for any stops or traffic problems or construction delays.

http://www.alaska.org/advice/mileage-chart

Edited by mapleleaves
chart

That is what we are doing! For better or worse we decided to go that route instead of the trek to Denali. This is our first and probably only trip to Alaska so I am sure others would think we are making a mistake. We don't have enough time pre or post cruise to do a land tour that lasts more than a couple of days and I didn't want to spend that time on a bus and shuffling in and out of hotels for a single night. Here is the itinerary we decided on. Keep in mind that we are seniors with a few health issues so things like hiking on glaciers and kayaking are not options for us.

Two nights in downtown Anchorage. - We arrive from the east coast early evening so check in to the hotel and try to adjust on the first night. The next day we want to do some exploring in Anchorage, do the trolley, and enjoy a nice meal. We are taking the train to Whittier the following morning.

Two nights in Whittier. - Arrive on the train mid-day. Check in to the hotel and take in the sights at the docks and the small town. Next day we are doing the 26 Glacier boat tour. Drinks and dinner at the hotel and up the next morning to arrive at the ship just before the train is scheduled to arrive. I would like to settle in and explore the ship before the bulk of the passengers arrive.

It is a pretty sedate itinerary, but that is what we need to do. There seems to be plenty of day trips from Anchorage that would suit all types. We thought of trying a flight to see Denali, but there were no guarantees of either getting off the ground or actually seeing the mountain, so we scratched that.

Hopefully others will chime in with what they have decided to do. At any rate, you are not alone!

Have a great trip,

Dawn

newmilford, Just noticed that you are thinking of TWO nites in Whittier. It's VERY small ....ie all the residents live in the ONE apt building. I think there are 2 hotels (the Whittier Inn and the Anchor Inn), several restaurants/cafes, and vendors for fishing, day cruises etc. With your limited time I would encourage you to get out and see more of the surrounding area which has SO much to offer.

Day 1 arrive Anc

Day 2 sightsee in Anchorage.

Day 3 Pick up rental car and explore Turnagain Arm. Visit Wildlife Conservation Center, stroll along the Potters Marsh boardwalk looking at birds and possibly moose, ride the Alyeska Resort tram on a clear day for great views and watch the paragliders, look for dall sheep in ridges along the hwy pullouts, walk the trail to foot of Byron Glacier, visit the visitor center at Portage Lake/Glacier, pan for gold.

Day 3 train to Whittier. 10 - noon. Take a PrinceWilliam Sound cruise. Most start after 12 to coincide with cruise pax arriving by train.

As a matter of fact I'm not a city fan, so I'd skip Anchorage and head right out of town. Stay in Girdwood which is only 40 minutes away or Summit Lake Lodge another 30 minutes.

Here's a map of 'downtown' Whittier. http://www.whittieralaskachamber.org/pdf/map.pdf

And a link to the Whittier Chamber of Commerce for business listings: http://www.whittieralaskachamber.org/index.htm

Just something to think about .....