Hamburg

starbug

Hi,

Has anyone taken the QE2 or QM2 to Hamburg?

I would like to see example excursions that are planned and also some ideas of what it's like there.

If anyone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

starbug

We went on a cruise on QE2 which included a call at Hamburg in July 1998. I don't remember anything about the excursions, but I will never forget the send-off we got as we left on a Sunday morning ( we were in port overnight ). Hundreds, if not thousands, of people lined the shores of the River Elbe as we sailed out to sea. I have been in dozens of ports on QE2, but have never seen so many people turn up to see her. I think that I read somewhere recently that either her or the QM2 had a similar experince there earlier this year.

Its worth going to Hmaburg for this alone, never mind the excursions!!

I haven't been to Hamburg on board of the QE2 or QM2 but are German and thus know what a hype is there every time a Queen comes to visit. Special TV shows and thousand of people flocking the area are just parts of the special events surrounding them.

Hamburg is quite a big city with various things to do. As long as you stay in Hamburg there is absolutely no need to take an excursions. Public transportation is easily available, as taxis are of course.

Even if you want to visit a different city most of the time the excellent railway system can take you.

We sailed on the QE2 in to Hamborg on May 30th this year. Cunard ships are very popular in Germany and if you do it be prepared to see you lots of people watching the ship come in. It was a grand arrival.

We did not take any excursions, nor can I remember what was on offer. Hamburg is a nice city and you just can go ashore and spend time in the city.

The airrival of QE2 was also noticed in the German Press. A live TV show was done dockside in the evening.

http://www.stern.de/lifestyle/reise/fernreisen/541005.html?q=Queen%20Elizabeth%202

Reint

Archived