Cozumel Orphanage

cole1982

Has anyone gone on this "excursion"?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We met a couple on a recent cruise that went to the orphanage and they said it was an awesome experience that they would do again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mom to an adopted child, even with the quotes around the word excursion, I was uncomfortable. I am sure it goes without saying that orphanages aren't tourist attractions any more than someone's home. I was concerned that this was possibly going on, so I googled. Turns out, thankfully, that it's not so easy to see an orphan in their native habitat. That said, bringing and dropping off needed items, or better yet, sponsoring a specific child or contributing to the education fund, is always a good idea.

http://www.ciudaddeangeles.org/current-needs/

"Cruise ship passengers can arrange before leaving home to visit the Ciudad de Angeles campus while their ship is docked in Cozumel. We request a minimum of two weeks notice to schedule a visit to our campus. The safety of our children and staff is of the utmost importance to us. For security reasons, no one is allowed to proceed to the property without notifying us first. Due to the short amount of time most cruises dock in Cozumel, service opportunities are usually limited to bringing or purchasing needed items."

Yes we did this excursion in April. It was amazing to see what they are doing for the kids. They also took us to a church whose minister welcomed us in and showed us around. The orphanage is not like an orphanage I thought of. They build houses, have moms and dads that live with the kids in each house and they take 6 or so kids in each. They go to school, church, and get the choice at 18 to go off to college or into the work force. I was impressed and wish our foster system was like that. These kids are not fostered and they are only there if there is zero family that is safe for them. They stay there until they age out. They are not moved around either. And the $$$ you pay to do the excursion goes right back to them