Seattle v. Juneau whale watching?

Keensurfer

Hi all - need advice - we are booked on an Inside Passage cruise from Seattle in Sept. We were planning to go for a whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier excursion in Juneau, but it looks like we're only in port from 2 pm and the glacier part of these excursions looks short. My husband saw that there's whale watching out of Seattle, where we will be for three days pre-cruise. I would really appreciate feedback: Is the excursion out of Seattle a comparable experience? How are they different? How much time would you recommend to explore the glacier? Thanks in advance!

Ellen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

if you arrive at 2pm you should have time for the whale watching AND the glacier.

The Mendenhall Visitor Center is open until 7:30pm and the trails are open until midnight. Granted you don't want to be wandering around in the dark, but look at the attached table to see when sunset falls on your specific date.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp?comb_city_info=Juneau%2C%20Alaska%2C%20USA;134.1334;58.3886;-9;1&month=9&year=2017&time_type=0&back=Search&want_mphase=1&want_info=1&wadj=1

The shuttles to/from Mendenhall end around 6pm I believe, possible earlier in the shoulder season. You'll need to check both companies for your specific travel date. You can always arrange to have a cab pick you up at the VCenter at 8pm or whenever.

Info on shuttles. taxis in the attached link. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

(click on the map in that link to get the visitor guide)

oops, forgot to mention the Seattle whale watching. I like to go to north Vancouver Island for my whale watching (ORCAS) and Sept is a great time due to local salmon runs.

But when I don't go to Vanc Island, I've done whale watching out of Anacortes, about 90 miles north of Seattle. AWESOME trip but again it's orca watching if that makes a difference to you. You spend about 5 - 6 hrs on the water thru wonderful scenery, passing lighthouses, San Juan Islands, sailboats, ferries, island homes/farms, and orcas, minke whales, seals, bald eagles.

This is the whale watch report of the company I've used. Some good photos to give you an idea. There's another company in Anacortes as well ... I'm sure they're equivalent.

http://blog.island-adventures.com/

Thank you, Mapleleaves. Great info. We are trying to figure out how to maximize the urban/nature mix Seattle offers as well. I'm a city girl and I've never been there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Seattle offers the smaller and faster Orcas
  • Juneau offers the larger and majestic Humpbacks
  • If you decide on Juneau.... look for combo excursions with Mendenhall to save on your port time.