My week on the Sun 7/3-7/10 (including pre/post adventures)

ljrfrm

Great review!! You may have me deciding to switch our June 2018 cruise from Greek Isles to Alaska!! One way Vancouver to Seward with pre- and post- cruise days sounds ideal for us!

We are not interested in the new Bliss - too many people for an Alaskan cruise and also it's a round trip whereas we prefer to go all way to Anchorage on a smaller ship (it'll be the Jewel as the SUN will reposition to Port Canaveral).

THANKS!!!!

Great review!! You may have me deciding to switch our June 2018 cruise from Greek Isles to Alaska!! One way Vancouver to Seward with pre- and post- cruise days sounds ideal for us!

We are not interested in the new Bliss - too many people for an Alaskan cruise and also it's a round trip whereas we prefer to go all way to Anchorage on a smaller ship (it'll be the Jewel as the SUN will reposition to Port Canaveral).

THANKS!!!!

While I love the Greek Isles and it's on my "wish list" for a cruise, I would highly recommend Alaska. Such beauty - and so much fun. I was worried about such a small ship after cruising the Escape my last two times. I didn't miss a large ship at all, and it was a great ship for Alaska. I would imagine the Jewel would be great also - perfect size. I am also SO glad we decided to not do Seattle round trip, as we would have missed so many of our adventures. Good luck with your decision - my vote......do them both! Haha!!

While I love the Greek Isles and it's on my "wish list" for a cruise, I would highly recommend Alaska. Such beauty - and so much fun. I was worried about such a small ship after cruising the Escape my last two times. I didn't miss a large ship at all, and it was a great ship for Alaska. I would imagine the Jewel would be great also - perfect size. I am also SO glad we decided to not do Seattle round trip, as we would have missed so many of our adventures. Good luck with your decision - my vote......do them both! Haha!!

We have been on a Greek Isles cruise out of Venice already (and loved it), been to Venice twice already (and loved it), and the 2 B2B cruises to Greek Isles and Adriatic that we booked include the ports that we have been to before and ports we have not been to. Also, we have been crossing the pond to Europe a lot over the past few years.

But your version of the Alaskan holiday caught my eye and we now feel it's time for us to go West for a change. We're thinking about Vancouver for a few days, the Northbound cruise, overnight in Seward, do the boat tour you mentioned followed by the train to Anchorage, a few days there, then fly to Seattle for a few days before flying all way back home.

Now I need to price both vacations and then decide which to take :)

We like big ships, only if there are many sea days. Smaller ships are better for port intensive and scenic cruises.

Now waiting to read more of your review, i.e. last day in Anchorage before your journey home. :D

We have been on a Greek Isles cruise out of Venice already (and loved it), been to Venice twice already (and loved it), and the 2 B2B cruises to Greek Isles and Adriatic that we booked include the ports that we have been to before and ports we have not been to. Also, we have been crossing the pond to Europe a lot over the past few years.

But your version of the Alaskan holiday caught my eye and we now feel it's time for us to go West for a change. We're thinking about Vancouver for a few days, the Northbound cruise, overnight in Seward, do the boat tour you mentioned followed by the train to Anchorage, a few days there, then fly to Seattle for a few days before flying all way back home.

Now I need to price both vacations and then decide which to take :)

We like big ships, only if there are many sea days. Smaller ships are better for port intensive and scenic cruises.

Now waiting to read more of your review, i.e. last day in Anchorage before your journey home. :D

Will finish that part up tonight :)

Since the ship departed from Canada, where did you do the US Immigration? I would think it happened before you boarded the ship in Vancouver, or did it happen at the first port of call?

Thanks!

No immigration once we left (other than our day with Dyea Dave and we went into Canada)-so it was done in Vancouver before we left Canada.

Funny thing about Alaska flights, I swear they are all Red Eyes. Every flight I looked at going home seemed to be leaving around midnight. And our friends last night left at midnight. They were heading to SF, and found a combination through Portland. But, still a Red Eye. I was excited to find a United flight that actually left at 1:50 pm. Score. BUT, the big but.........I had to change planes in Denver, which was then a Red Eye. So, either way I had one. I came up with a brilliant idea that I'd stay in Denver for the weekend. My oldest son lives there, and I'd love to spend some time with him. It was a great plan, until I finally got around to buying my ticket and I realized it would add $300 to my fare. Yikes. As much as I wanted to visit him, it just wasn't going to work out. Although, to add insult to injury, it turns out my husband was flying on from Denver for work....but not until Sunday - so he was going to get to stay. But not me, I got the Red Eye after all.....what is it about Alaska and those flights? Seriously.......

Anyhow......we weren't flying out until 1:50 pm, so we slept in late. I had originally planned for us to be out and about in the morning - but then realized we really did see everything we wanted to see (except a bear!!!) and it just didn't make sense to rush around at this point -so we slept in, packed, relaxed, drank coffee and enjoyed just sitting around the comfortable home. Check out was at noon - so there was no rush. The owners told us we could stay longer if needed - but we had to get to the airport and return the rental car.

We loaded up the car and headed to the airport. The Anchorage Airport rental cars were right there next to the terminal which was very convenient - no shuttle needed. We had rented from Dollar (got a great price) and once the car was returned, we just had to head out of the garage and we were at the airport. Once inside the airport, we checked our bags, went through security (very quick with TSA Precheck) and headed to our gate. On the way, we ran into a moose. Ok, well -it might not have been real......but it was a big (stuffed type) moose that was cute - so I just had to take my picture with him (I think it was a him?).

Once again, I used United upgrade vouchers and had my fingers crossed for months that I'd get the upgrade. While on the cruise, I received an email that I received the upgrade on the Red Eye flight. And then, just a few days ago, I received a second email saying I was also upgraded for the first leg. My husband was fortunate to receive an upgrade as well for the trip to Denver, and luckily they had two seats next to each other still available when we completed the online check in the day before.

Once on board the flight (pre-take off), I began to drink wine. I think that's a prerequisite in First Class- you must make use of the free drinks. We were given lunch (another First Class perk) and then I watched the worst movie I've ever seen (ok, maybe not the worst - "From Justin to Kelly" was worse - saw that on a plane in probably 2003 and it still wins the prize) called "A Cure for Wellness". Maybe I'm just not a Sci-fi person, but I didn't enjoy it at all. Why did I keep watching it? Great question. I guess I was just invested by that point.

We arrived on time into Denver and my son was there to pick up my husband who was staying with him over the weekend. I went outside of security to visit with him. I had 45 minutes and I made use of the whole time. We went to the food court (only choice outside of security) and I got a taco from Taco Bell. There's something about Taco Bell that just hits the spot!! After about 45 minutes, I felt I needed to go back through security -not knowing how long it would take. I hugged the hubby and son goodbye, and headed on my way. As I had TSA precheck, security took all of 2 minutes -but it's better safe than sorry. I took the train to the United terminal and went to the gate.

After a short wait, it was time to board. Another glass of wine (or 2), another movie (Manchester By The Sea) and a few chapters of my book later (clearly, I don't even try to sleep on Red Eyes) we were landing. We arrived at 4:40 am. The airport was dead other than a few poor souls stretched out and sleeping at the gate. My other friends were on our same flight, and they had their dogsitter come pick us up. I was home and going to bed by 5:50 am (Eastern time), dreaming of my amazing trip. Once I woke up, I went next door to get my dog (can you even imagine how excited she was that I was home!) and sat down at my computer to plan my next cruise!!!

Hi Val,

Yes, looks like we will be neighbors! My sister and her husband are 2 doors down, also an aft cabin. We are with a group of friends that have aft cabins too but on different decks! Counting the hours now! I'm sure we will meet in passing! Safe travels!