Visa rewards question

I'm looking to use points for the free 3-4 night sailing. It says minimum OV up to $1000.

The sailing I am looking at (Anthem 4 night to Bermuda 12/6/18) costs more than that, so I assume that I would pay the difference. (It does not say that Quantum class ships are exempt, and people on the roll call for this sailing said that they were able to use the free cruise reward)

Since a balcony is only a small amount more, can I upgrade and pay whatever is over $1000?

Also, I have a Next Cruise Certificate from 2013, for which I paid $100 deposit and when I use it, I only need to pay $100 for the second person.

Can I use the NCC to book the cruise with Visa points? (I believe I have done this in the past, but it wasn't for the free cruise, instead it was for credit towards the cruise).

Lastly, what would be the correct order? Do I book the cruise first using the NCC, then call to have the points reward applied? Do I book the OV room, and then after the points are applied, do I upgrade to the balcony? Or, can I book the balcony from the start? And, how does the new nonrefundable deposit factor into this - can I book this rate and still use the NCC and the rewards?

Yes, you can book any stateroom, OV or better, and pay the difference. Note that you cannot use the C&A balcony discount with a "free" cruise redemption.

Book the cruise first, whatever stateroom you ultimately want, then apply the Visa points redemption. You can use the NCC with the Visa points redemption, but you will have to pay cash for the extra deposit.

Sorry, no experience on how the NRD affects this. However, I expect Ellen to have direct experience within a day or two.;)

Yes, you can book any stateroom, OV or better, and pay the difference. Note that you cannot use the C&A balcony discount with a "free" cruise redemption.

Book the cruise first, whatever stateroom you ultimately want, then apply the Visa points redemption. You can use the NCC with the Visa points redemption, but you will have to pay cash for the extra deposit.

Sorry, no experience on how the NRD affects this. However, I expect Ellen to have direct experience within a day or two.;)

Thanks Bob! I was hoping you would reply, since you have helped me in the past with applying Visa rewards.

I didn't know that the C&A balcony discount wouldn't apply. I will have to consider that.

Also, for the second deposit, I can charge it on my Visa, right? I don't literally have to use cash, right?

Also, what would be the best way to find out how the NRD factors into the equation - calling RCI or calling Visa rewards?

Edited by DonnaK

OK Bob, I called and booked the cruise. The NRD requires a full deposit, and the NCC had the $100 deposit, so I had to choose one or the other. I selected the NCC.

Thanks for your guidance!

OK Bob, I called and booked the cruise. The NRD requires a full deposit, and the NCC had the $100 deposit, so I had to choose one or the other. I selected the NCC.

Thanks for your guidance!

Thanks for reporting back Donna.:)